RAF Nimrod was never airworthy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by devexwarrior, May 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Never airworthy"? ! Ever?

Can such a remark be taken seriously?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I would like to see the definition he has chosen to use to set airworthiness.

Don't think Lynx managed to get a civvy airworthiness certificate either. Grateful if one of the fly boys could correct me if I'm wrong here.

Pretty damning verdict though. A review of all airframes might be in order - Tristar springs to mind as a first up.

3. ... can't be far out, RAF was still using these in the late 80's
    [​IMG]

4. In this instance, Yes. Channel 4 New just reported on this and their reporter said that the Corner, Mr.Andrew Walker was still giving his report whilst they were on the air.

IF this is in relation to the leaking fuel pipes that spray fuel over a an area containing hot surfaces then yes, technically, the Nimrod was not airworthy.

5. In this case, agreed but can it therefore be said that even when they weren't leaking, even on aircraft that didn't have this arrangement that the basic design of the aircraft meant it was never airworthy in thirty years of service?

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

7. The coroner has called for the entire fleet to be grounded. Just on BBC news 24.

8. Never? And it took from 1950-whatever to the 21st century to figure it out? Bllocks.

They'll be saying the Shackleton (Avro Lancaster - I shite you not - with some shiny bits) wasn't, next.

9. More a politician than a Coroner...

10. Well reading hte report if the head of Airworthiness at BAe says that on hte evidence he has seen the aircraft never was airworthy then OK, I'm convinced:

So will BAe be footing the bill?

11. It's rather like the king who isn't wearing any clothes.

Can anyone really have confidence in such an old aircraft? How many millions have been spent on upgrades over the years? How many MOD civil servants and senior RAF officers have supported this debacle without daring to speak out?

Someone should be made accountable now. It's obvious (to me anyway)that the Nimrod is not up to the task.

God forbid if a Tristar ever goes down with a full complement of passengers. :(

12. since he's not declared any membership of any political party, or any intent to stand for ANY office, other than the one he currently holds, not much of a polititician. Google has one hit on the first page for his name, and that's a news report....

Tell me, is everything rosey in your world?

13. msr

msr LE

No, he is a brave and courageous man who is prepared to stand up and tell the truth, no matter how unpalatable it is.

You won't get any scum-sucking, bottom-feeding, space-wasting politician ever coming close.

msr

14. Well the Bloody thing is only a Superannuated D.H.Comet, and the first ones didnt have much luck. Nice to fly in though, if a bit slow