RAF: My heart bleeds?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by msr, Sep 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Responsibility for Fast Air Support and Tactical Reconnaissance for Operation TELIC has transferred to Lossiemouth-based 617 Squadron, 'The Dambusters', enabling personnel from 12 (Bomber) Squadron a well-earned rest following a demanding two month deployment.

Working 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and employing a 12-hour shift cycle, 12 Squadron's multi-skilled personnel, formerly five trades rolled into three, endured the searing 50 degree temperatures throughout the day along with a particularly uncomfortable 80 per cent humidity through the night to provide an impressively high rate of serviceable aircraft.

Anyone else's heart pumping purple p1ss?

2. A damn stiff test of the hotel air conditioning systems indeed
  3. They can file their nails whilst drinking tea and eating biscuits? :wink:
  4. Maybe it was demanding for a two-month tour...

And they were based in Al Udeid.
  5. Perhap they were kept awake on their off shift by harrassing mortar fire from Terry? You know his super dooper extended range ones :roll:

Quatar to Afghanistan is how far? So for the pilots a long flight but for their support elements 8 weeks of 12 hour days with feck all danger.
  6. Apologies if IE didn't automatically detect the sarcasm in my earlier post. 2 months of 12 hour shifts in 50 degrees with 80 to 90% humidity is hard work, unfortunately the RAF can never grasp just how demanding such detachments are in comparison with downtown Sangin or Now Zad.
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

They are a Tornado Sqn and Operating over Iraq aren't they?
    Have they had to carry out any airstrikes in the last two years?
    Also its shared between 7 Sqns so its not going to come round that often because if yoy've done 2 months you might not even get dicked to go again
    Plus pilots are flying 30 hours per week is hardly flat out I would have thought
  8. One point, they may well end up doing 4 or 5 "2 month tours" in the same time as we would do a 6 month within HaHaHarmony.

They are still gits though :D

Per Ardua
  9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

As an ex-Tornado Sqn armourer I'm not biting!
    (apart to say that on our Sqn,617 was known as 61Spare! (considering they never did anything!
  10. that was six one spit to the rest of us Spike...
  11. I remember working on a job in the APOD, or BIA as some knew it, and the biggest whingeing cnuts were the RAF aircrew! our sparkies were wiring in their nice little corrimec units they had, c/w with air con units, and were in a huff because we were disturbing there beauty sleep as we had to get up early to avoid grafting in the warmer hours of the summer.

Remember asking a few of them for a hand once while pushing a large real with cable on it and just getting blank looks off a few of them as if to say 'fcuk off were the RAF'

made a change when we were at places like the SAAH or OSB and the lads there didnt mind mucking in to help.
  12. Pilots?, yeah they get my respect most of the time.

Rest of Crab Air? Civvies or Walts in uniform
  13. 'kin 'guins

(soory to most of you but I'm leathered)

but not to the 'kin 'guins