RAF Morale Failure at Akrotiri

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30338659

Apparently the groundcrew are being fed the same rations that are getting shipped to Kurdish refugees, the airframes are all in clip and the local cleaners are better paid than the guys on camp. My heart bleeds. You would have thought that there would be plenty of 3 star hotel rooms free in the off season.

Reading between the lines somewhat, I see this as continuation of the BBC's recent theme of 'The Cuts have Gone Too Far' (subtext: especially in the run-up to licence fee renewal).

Some discipline issues for whoever sent the letter to Newsnight as well.

Last edited:
Standars have dropped then. I ate at RAF Gutersloh back in the mid seventies on a short stay and the food in the RAF canteen was the best food I ever ate during my entire time in the mob.

Bogey_Miner

Old-Salt
A proud day for the 'few'.

I can't see how the nightshift are missing dinner and breakfast.

Would this be the case if we had carriers with chefs on board?

and no RAF.

Last edited:

offog

LE
Standars have dropped then. I ate at RAF Gutersloh back in the mid seventies on a short stay and the food in the RAF canteen was the best food I ever ate during my entire time in the mob.

You poor sod, if what the RAF gave your was better than your units. When ever I passed through an air head the food was very poor at best and not worth the bother most of the time.

The witchhunt to find the evil perpetrator of the letter will be unlikely to increse morale:mrgreen:

I banged out a seditious one page news letter on an Op tour as the CoC were a ******* disgrace in a variety of activities

Was met with amused agreement by the juniors and purple faced apoplexy by the named c.Un.ts that should have been ashamed of themselves

That was the bit that stood out for me. That and the fact that they cheese sandwiches weren't very good.

I do not have the words to adequately express my contempt. I just hope they haven't accidentally killed anyone prompting them to all come down with second hand PTSD.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

You poor sod, if what the RAF gave your was better than your units. When ever I passed through an air head the food was very poor at best and not worth the bother most of the time.

Our barracks was an old pre war SS panzer barracks and the cockroaches and you competed for the tastiest morsels of food. Given the absence of tasty morsels most of the time, everybody just had to put up with the slop.

The RAF ran a yearly competition in Germany for the best dinning facilities. The food at Gutersloh was exceptional.

tired after 'years of deployment' how is that [groundcrew] any differant from a civvy doing the same thing at heathrow ,luton or shatwick.

Yes it's amazing what a difference 40 years and 2000+ miles can make!

Akrotiri wasn't bad when I was there but there was still a 38 year time gap.

ACAB

LE
They had to eat Rations?

Well, bugger me! I'm . . . . . .outraged!!!!!

D

Deleted 4886

Having read the whole article I thought 'ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Diddums'.

Having seen the reactions of old RAF WOs 'roughing it' in the superb facilities in the Falklands as well I immediately thought again 'ahhhhhhh Diddums'. 'What do you mean we are on Ex (all 36 hours of it) and have to eat in the JRs Dining Room'. Errrrrr its a shared kitchen and you are eating exactly the same as in the Mess - cnut!

Jesus wept the RAF embarass theirselves again. I say these cheese sandwiches are simply unacceptable! I await the commision of the painting of the battle of the cheese sandwich.

ahhhh bless...you're on ops ...so suck it up sunshine.

Just love the language.. "so laced with budgetary fear... that no one knows what the plan is". That's ejukayshun in the RAF that is.

Being serious for a mo' CoC must be seething if someone feels it requires a letter to the media. And just how much of this will be the norm now ? The guys & gals have grown up with good kit and facilities, responsive UOR chain, Internet on tap, loads of Welfare etc and its all coming down with a bump whilst UK Armed Forces recuperate and reconstitute for this next quiet decade......

Things are even worse than claimed in the letter...

Judging by one of the pictures in the article the crabs are having to jump start their aircraft with a tow to get them off the ground...

_79522099_ead1fcbe-c365-46dd-8a31-cb4521725b87.jpg

Do they still have the old kinetic tow ropes?

Rodney2q

I also enjoy the comment about having no hospital despite having to handle ammunition... just how are they loading the stuff into the f*cking planes, hammers?