RAF Lyneham to close

Its been announced in t' local news that RAF Lyneham is to close in 2012.
(sorry no linky thing).

CharlieBubbles said:
right-grumpy said:
Don't forget they have St Morgan!
In the back of beyond, does Morgan have central motorway and rail links?

On the other hand, is Morgan better screened from public view?
The site is probably now worth as much as Lynham!!

chimera

LE
It was announced a few years ago that Lyneham was to close and its Hercules moved to Brize. There were hopes that the RAF's Pumas, Chinooks and Merlins were going to be moved there.

It's a bit too late for St. Mawgan. That closed last year and is now called Newquay "International " Airport.

FC

right-grumpy said:
CharlieBubbles said:
right-grumpy said:
Don't forget they have St Morgan!
In the back of beyond, does Morgan have central motorway and rail links?

On the other hand, is Morgan better screened from public view?
The site is probably now worth as much as Lynham!!

Fatcivvy said:
It was announced a few years ago that Lyneham was to close and its Hercules moved to Brize. There were hopes that the RAF's Pumas, Chinooks and Merlins were going to be moved there.

It's a bit too late for St. Mawgan. That closed last year and is now called Newquay "International " Airport.

FC

Mawgan....... gone!......... Say it isnt so :cry:

F uck me Brize is going to be big. Are all our RAF eggs now in one basket :?

St. Mawgan (formerly St. Eval)
is now Newquay International.

There is absolutely no way even our inept gubmint would site anything there.
No motorway(it stops at Plymouth-65 miles away)
No direct rail link(single track, 4 trains a day, tourist line)
No other defence assets in that area( Bob Ainsworth visiting Plymouth today, probably to tell them to wave goodbye to the surface fleet along with the sub fleet)

right-grumpy said:
Fatcivvy said:

F uck me Brize is going to be big. Are all our RAF eggs now in one basket :?
Super garrison in an Air Force stylee?????

Whilst I can see from one perspective the benefits of having a single hub for different types dont you simply lose resilience. Even a small cascading event can shut down significant areas for a while, look at Buncefield a few years ago or the flooding a few summers ago.

C

cloudbuster

mick_sterbs said:
St. Mawgan (formerly St. Eval)
is now Newquay International.
Sorry, but St Mawgan was never, ever St Eval. Two seperate, albeit fairly close, airfields. But yes, the airfield is now owned by Cornwall Council.

No motorway(it stops at Plymouth-65 miles away)
Don't know when you were last in Cornwall, but the A30 is dualled all the way (less a 1 mile stretch coming off Bodmin Moor) from the M5 at Exeter to near Truro, with a dualled link-road to within a couple of miles of St M.

I'll give you the point on rail-travel, however.

No other defence assets in that area
..........apart from RNAS Culdrose.

strange, even through the mists of time
I can't recall Bzz having enough pan space for the 40 odd Hercs along with all the Tristars and VC10's.
It was bad enough when they used to bring in the Virgin 747 for the South Atlantic runs.
Just the extra ACHE would take up space for approximately 10 Hercs, not forgetting all the bods to maintain them and all the avionics and spares, none of which are compatible with the jet fleet.

mick_sterbs said:
strange, even through the mists of time
I can't recall Bzz having enough pan space for the 40 odd Hercs along with all the Tristars and VC10's.
Closure of PTS & PCAU will give them another hanger and some transit accomodation.

as we were briefed not so long ago the chinooks from odiham and the merlins from benson shouldnt be moving but we are waiting for a disicision as if they choose not to move us we will be given a large bounty to improve the site at odiham,

GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
Closure of PTS & PCAU will give them another hanger and some transit accomodation.
PTS were housed in the same hanger as Role eqpt and the PCAU accommodation wouldn't be fit to house infected mexican swine.
It was falling apart in the 80's and i doubt the years have been kind.
I recall somewhere on here it was discussed that it was being used as transit for those off to sand pit and the photos l made it look like it was 2 parts demolished already.

There is always the old runway for parking, but that used old cars and trucks as hardcore. So probably not a great idea.

Perhaps they will move to Fairford and be parented by Brize. There is still an RAF presence at St Mawgan.

Fairford got used when the runway was out for re-surfacing.

Thats how they found the cars and trucks under the old runway, they were going to strip the original runway surface and use it for backfilling the new runway. Unfortunately the more they dug the more auto metal they found. Seems the septics used their trashed MT as hardcore when they built the new runway back in the 50's.

RAF presence at St. Mawgan?
Thought the joint Navy /USN thing was off to Virginia soon and all that was left was going to RMB Chivenor?