Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

RAF leads the way - first women join RAF Regiment

Another first credited to the light blue. Good luck to those joining the RAF Regiment, the spotlight will be upon you.

The Navy is already accepting applications for the Royal Marines Commandos, with 17 in the pipeline, incidentally.

BBC News said:
The Royal Air Force has become the first branch of the British military to open up every role to men and women.

From today it will accept applications from women to join the RAF Regiment - its ground-fighting force.

The move follows a decision last year to lift the ban on females serving in close combat roles.

The main role of the 2,000-strong RAF Regiment, which sustained casualties in Afghanistan, is to patrol and protect RAF bases and airfields.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41119863

Edit, just realised, duplicated thread. Apologies, mods please delete....

Last edited:
It was reported in the last Light Dragoons Journal earlier in the year that they have women in training.
They do, the Cav bless then are so on message!
Now what the 'light blue service' has done is play top trumps and said all branches from fast jet to slop jockey can be any sex I dare say even trans - now that is bleeding edge stuff.

An interesting view and a good file for phys requirements in RAF from some bloke with a funny name from July'17 on PPRuNE:
Leon Jabachjabicz

...For me it's quite simple, if the females pass the same selection then great. As long as there is no discrimination in the required standards as there is now, then everything is equal. See https://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediaf...2735D95037.doc
However, how can it be right that a peak of fitness female 17-29 has to reach broadly the same standard as a 50-54 male? This cannot be right and if the Chief and the SofS are really truthful about equality then either the female fitness scores need to rise to that of the males or the males need to drop to that of the females. Quite frankly the levels of fitness amongst some of the female and male cadre is poor and there are way too many with a sick-chit and "excused from games". I like to consider myself a feminist but the discrimination between male/female Service fitness requirements does the female's cause of equality no good whatsoever.

"A diverse force is a more operationally effective force."

"We want to promote diversity and get the best people."

Diversity is a good thing. Therefore one does not have recruiting problems, one is merely encouraging diversity.

Quotations lifted from the BBC text.

F
They do, the Cav bless then are so on message!
Now what the 'light blue service' has done is play top trumps and said all branches from fast jet to slop jockey can be any sex I dare say even trans - now that is bleeding edge stuff.

Flashman would be turning in his grave.