RAF leads the way - first women join RAF Regiment

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As an ex soldier and well out of the loop, I think it will become obvious very quickly in training whether enough women are able to pass the courses as they stand. Or whether adjustments are needed that lower the standard of the final product.

It is then down to the integrity of The CoC to flag up whether it is a success or not. If they try to fudge the issue and make it look better than it is for their own career ends then they only have themselves to blame because they will only end up in their Battalions.
That has already been done and the numbers tell the story. Even the MoD's published documents intended to support the decision make it clear that the expected numbers will be minuscule.

The facts have been ignored. The hope is that people accept the low numbers passing as a reality of sexual dimorphism, but I think most of us expect them to intentionally lower the bar when the numbers passing look bad.

As an ex soldier and well out of the loop, I think it will become obvious very quickly in training whether enough women are able to pass the courses as they stand. Or whether adjustments are needed that lower the standard of the final product.

It is then down to the integrity of The CoC to flag up whether it is a success or not. If they try to fudge the issue and make it look better than it is for their own career ends then they only have themselves to blame because they will only end up in their Battalions.
As I mentioned before, you mean like segregated training in the support arms? Which in no way was because women weren't making the grade, no sirree bob.

Officer career path Vs capability of the army? Hmmmmmm

The RAF Regiment's Regiment Operational Fitness assessment (ROFA) is 34 Kg over 10km i think that will change somehow.
If its anything like the Army's OFTs that we all had to do otherwise we weren't deploying, it will be ignored when they realised how many people (a very high percentage of females) couldn't pass it.

Yes, for the reserves. Which highlights the issue; why the age discrepancy with the regulars? If a 55 year old can do the role then he or she can do it.

The point I failed to make is that if sex is irrelevant to role then age should be too, assuming the candidate can demonstrate the required fitness and physical & mental skills.

Can a 55-year-old be an effective Regiment soldier? I don't know, but I do know several who are better marathon runners than 18-year-olds! But RAF Recruiting Computer says NO.
Well one argument is that in joining the regulars you are making a longer term commitment and the army intends to develop you over a period of time, promote you etc. whereas when joining the reserves you are more of a short term asset, who will require a lot less input so if you are realistically going to do few years until you 'retire', this isn't the issue it would be for a regular. If you are an ex-reg it is even less of an issue as you are probably already trained.

You know that answer to that one and it is a bigger issue than just women in the RAF Rgt.
But that shouldnt be used as an excuse for ignoring the potential problems.

Someone once said "quantity has a quality all its own".

One thing for sure, with current retention and recruitment rates, we certainly don't have the quantity :)

Reference the 8 miler, at the two infantry and one armoured recce unit I was attached to I never once saw a female complete the CFT without one guy carrying two bergans, one guy with two rifles and another two guys with a firm grip on each arm dragging them along.

Now they are opening roles up for women despite them not been capable of reaching the fitness standards of the ones they can do now.
Utter tripe I spent 18 years in an infantry unit and during that time I seen female support staff on many occasions taking part and finishing CFTs carrying their own kit and not using the safety wagon as a few guys tended to do.

Suppose it all depends on the unit and how the COC enforces fitness training HQ coy and all that bollocks..

Any mention yet of an MoD investigation in to this? After all, there must be another reason as to why she chinned it off. It can't possibly be as simple as a female not being able to handle it.
Surely, there is some sort of 'ism' at play here?
Undoubtedly, there will be a review into the kit that infantry personnel carry and whether bullets, guns and bombs really nead to be this heavy together with a review of the amount of ammo really required.

To be fair, if people took the time to aim properly, they wouldn't waste nearly as many bullets.

And anyway, there should be cartridge case recycling bins on the battlefield to make for a more carbon-neutral warfare.

Undoubtedly, there will be a review into the kit that infantry personnel carry and whether bullets, guns and bombs really nead to be this heavy together with a review of the amount of ammo really required.

To be fair, if people took the time to aim properly, they wouldn't waste nearly as many bullets.
Great. A return to single shot weapons. 100 rds per soldier. And do the Army 'really' need these expensive and hungry section support weapons?
And who needs mortars these days? That's what air support is for.

So according to the article the female recruit who pulled out was someone who was already serving. Most dropouts in the first two weeks tend to be those struggling with militarization, clearly this wouldn't have been the case for her.