RAF Intelligence and brainwashing

Well he was a darkside crab - what do you expect?
By darkside do you mean blunt or slime? 'Cos if he was slime I would frankly have expected the intelligence skills to come to the fore a bit. But on reading this I can almost sense that the Torygraph wanted to be more salacious, and suspect that there was a point here where his bollocks took over from the brain...

Having seen crab officers at RAF Brampton who had been brainwashed into thinking that combat jacket and trousers, worn with blue shirt, tie, black shoes and service dress cap (plus briefcase but no weapons) was acceptable for excercises this doesn't surprise me...

Rodney2q

Presumably he's now recovered from his "brainwashing" as he's taken her to court. Perhaps we should get him on the CAC course to tell us how he managed it.

Having seen crab officers at RAF Brampton who had been brainwashed into thinking that combat jacket and trousers, worn with blue shirt, tie, black shoes and service dress cap (plus briefcase but no weapons) was acceptable for excercises this doesn't surprise me...

Rodney2q
There are far too many examples of this sort of brainwashing, don't let me start telling you about the Flight Sergeant from 51 Sqn who thought it acceptable to wear his slippers when guard commander at RAF Wyton...oh, wait. Drat!

Rodney2q
Sounds just like a certain cavalry officer in the late eighties......

There are far too many examples of this sort of brainwashing, don't let me start telling you about the Flight Sergeant from 51 Sqn who thought it acceptable to wear his slippers when guard commander at RAF Wyton...oh, wait. Drat!
Was that in the days when guards wore blues, were unarmed and often didn't turn up at night?

to be fair when i joined the raf in the early 80s,exercise wear was hand me down nbc kit over blues and steel helmet,a few years later we got a set of combats complete with puttes(it looked like ww1,with some),however just to make sure we did not look to professional it was blue shirts and jumpers with it.

Ha ha ha. Yep, been there and seen that! I was guard commander there and one of my guards (An RAF full screw aged about 92) did the same thing until I told him to keep his fecking boots on all night. Thought that was a one off. I used to like it when the crab police used to come in and ask me to upload and download their weapons. I used to tell them that unless their weapons were digital holograms, it wasn't possible. Blank faces all round!

I just had a gruesome flashback to an aged FSgt at 26 SU at T'Berg in 1980 - his Rocking Horse (like Active Edge, only we were all going to die much sooner) rig was:

Shirt+tie
Trousers blue
Shoes DMS
Jersey HW
RAF raincoat
Side hat
Pipe
58 belt with two RH pouches
SMG, butt folded, tucked into belt

No ******* wonder NVA 1MRD and GSFG 6GMRD never tried it on.

The average airman couldn't shape a beret properly to save his/her life.

As for those blue pack-a-macs that they wear....

No wonder the get called Ryan airforce. (They just love that).

to be fair when i joined the raf in the early 80s,exercise wear was hand me down nbc kit over blues and steel helmet,a few years later we got a set of combats complete with puttes(it looked like ww1,with some),however just to make sure we did not look to professional it was blue shirts and jumpers with it.
On the basis that we [the RAF] didn't have the kit back then, we were told to wear blue shirts with combat kit.

I actually got a borrocking, when a Staff Officer at HQ 11 Gp in the early 80s, for turning up on a call-out wearing a green shirt and sweater.

On the basis that we [the RAF] didn't have the kit back then, we were told to wear blue shirts with combat kit.

I actually got a borrocking, when a Staff Officer at HQ 11 Gp in the early 80s, for turning up on a call-out wearing a green shirt and sweater.
A sweater? A ******* SWEATER!!!! Did they give you a gun and some real bullets in a bullet holder too and make you drive a jeep. A sweater - for ****'s sake. Must be a wah.

You're talking about the eccentricities of the RAF, what about their "Regimental" heritage ? When I was in 9 Sigs a fair few years ago, the RAF SNCOs from the local SU turned up for a Regimental Dinner wearing an assortment of Mess Dress, including one with a Tartan Cravat (he was English by the way). During the meal they proceeded to light up, get up from the table and disappear for a P and then left the table after they had their meal; before the Loyal toast.

However, the RAF don't always have it their own way as I recall a certain titled Cavalry Major on exercise with HQ 3 Armd Div in a tactical location somewhere in the woods of Germany. Main were about to deploy on an early morning move when he roused himself from the G "Sleeps" Wagon, dressed in his pyjamas with a smart silk dressing gown and slippers, carrying a basin to the Field Kitchen only to address the ACC Cook Sergeant thus - I say Cookie, can one rustle up some hot water ! A chap simply can't start the day without performing one's ablutions properly, and my damned driver has gorn and disappeared ! Thanks for the Memories Baron von T

You're talking about the eccentricities of the RAF, what about their "Regimental" heritage ? When I was in 9 Sigs a fair few years ago, the RAF SNCOs from the local SU turned up for a Regimental Dinner wearing an assortment of Mess Dress, including one with a Tartan Cravat (he was English by the way). During the meal they proceeded to light up, get up from the table and disappear for a P and then left the table after they had their meal; before the Loyal toast.
Not an RAF idiosyncrasy, it's either pig-ignorance or stupidity ... or slightly exaggerated?
The RAF does formal dinners basically exactly the same way as you guys.

Not an RAF idiosyncrasy, it's either pig-ignorance or stupidity ... or slightly exaggerated?
The RAF does formal dinners basically exactly the same way as you guys.
Sorry to offend the Junior Service Blue-Sophist, but unfortunately for the remainder at the Tables that night, including by the way Darksider Crabs and the Senior Service attached to 9 Sigs, not an exaggeration either. I believe, because it was a three line whip from their Warrant Officer, who had accepted the invitation, they felt a little rebellious at the formality of a predominantly Bleep Regimental Dinner. They were held on average once a month during my time and were mandatory. This was the first occasion when the invitation was extended, but I'm not sure if they had their own Mess or not !

@ HIGHLANDER_SPY ... in which case it was shameful and stupid behaviour. I've often been embarrassed by my former Service, but this one takes the biscuit. I earnestly hope they subsequently enjoyed a lifetime ban from any future Regimental functions ... not to mention any other 'in-house' sanctions.

I have an old mate from the SU world ... I'll give him a prod on this one.