RAF in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trying to find out from anybody on the ground out there what score is with RAF pers on the ground in Iraq.

Not the RAF Reg as I know that they get issued the SUSAT on there weapons all the time.

I need to know if all the R.A.F ( groundies, techies, typists and plumbers ) "MUST" deploy with a susat as well ?

2. I once had the dubious pleasure of being the armskote storeman at HQ (UK) NSE in Shaibah and, if I remember rightly, every rifle in my iso was fitted with a susat. As there were quite a few blue jobs in the unit then I'd hazard a guess that most RAF personnel deploy with a susat. Whether it is an absolute requirement I couldn't say. Considering that I had more than one RAF new arrival tip up in theatre without a weapon - let alone a sight - I'd say it's unlikely...

3. No mate, unless your doing an FP job its a good old iron sight for you.

4. Seconded, all blunty gats are iron sighted. Obviously we can't be trusted with SUSAT :D

5. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Oldbloke,

In the Op TELIC deployment instruction there is a paragraph in there saying that if you are deploying to Iraq itself you are to have a SUSAT but the remainder of the JOA it is not necessary. Get the document, it will answer every question you will have about deployment - in fact one of the better documents produced to be honest.

6. That obviously doesn't apply to us crabs then, unless it has been altered in the last 14 months.

7. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

The deployment Instructions for TELIC and HERRICK are the same, all personnel are to deploy with SUSAT. Trouble is there aren't enough to go around given the additional numbers of deployed personnel who are often pretty limited to the major camps anyway. I went to HERRICK without any , got back then was sent pretty much straightaway to TELIC and still we didn't have enough.