RAF Hueys???

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by REMEbrat, Feb 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently read an issue of the Army Air Corps magazine and inside I saw pictures of two Hueys in AAC markings.

The article was about a unit based in Borneo flying Hueys, shown were pictures of ZH815 and ZH816 but can anyone shed any light on to the reason why our armed forces are flying old American helecopters?

Judging by the tail codes (ZH...) these helecopters aren't that old, Typhoons fly with codes ZJ, but why do we need Hueys when we have much more capable Lynxs sitting idly in AAC hangers?

2. Huey's are far better in a Hot atmoshere, they have a bigger blade span, thats why the US marines use them. Lynx's fall out the sky I should know i live next door to Middle Wallop!!!

3. Anything to do with loan service issues and what is funded by the Sultan.

4. Not Hueys, not old, not RAF (as your post implies), and not ex-American. Where are these idle Lynx?

5. Are we not using some sort of four blade Huey in Cyprus?

6. The Bell 212 is operated in Belize and Brunei on the COMR system - i.e provided and maintained by FB Heliservices and flown by AAC aircrew. The aircraft is much more capable than the Lynx in these theatres due to the role and enviroment. Lynx is not fitted with a winch, which is one of the main advantages of the 212 in a jungle enviroment where we sometimes need to extract casualties from the trees.
    Oh, and I think you'll find that Lynx aren't "sat idly in hangars" - the AAC is putting it to good use in every other theatre that the British Army is operating including Iraq and Afghanistan where the crews and their machines are being put to the test every day under extremely difficult conditions. :thumleft:

7. The AAC certainly, upto 1996, were flying Bell (212 i think, might be wrong) with 7 Flt AAC in Brunei. I took more than one trip in them, and remember being petrified, as the main construction material appeared to my untrained eye to be black and nasty and cam string.

8. I served in 7 Flight AAC, 95-97 and these were the cabs we had then. They were leased and repainted in standard grey/green paint.

The twin engine, nvg compatable cockpit and winch meant they were very busy indeed, and I worked harder in Brunei than I did in NI in the early 90s.

The tail numbers were 814, 815 and 816, and they were old indeed by military standards; I seem to remember one of them had 24k flying hours even then.

I also think they were all Italian made, althought my memory is hazy now.

9. " I worked harder in Brunei than I did in NI in the early 90s."

My how times have changed. Brunei was a cushy number in 79-80 when I was there, three Scouts and Two pilots.
    I will have some photos when I return from my UK trip in April.
    Worked on 205s in Oman and the local airforce still operat them on Operations out here, saw two returning yesterday afternoon.
    The single engine Huey lifts more troops then the twin engine 212 and the Allison engine is very reliable.
    john
    Ah ya never worked on my crew in NI, ya must have been Aldergrove.

10. Jon, I was on Pete's crew, but I think I did a shift on yours when a UT.

Brunei became 24 hour casevac, all troop movements, all stores deliveries, busy hell.

The days of px24ing a few useless scouts and knocking off at 1500hrs were long gone unfortunately. When you cant move many troops, fly at night or winch casualties it sort of follows you will have an easy time of it.

11. Holdswart, ye gods You have suffered. He was ancient when he was at AETW on basics about 26 as a recruit.
    I remember a Cfn joining just before I was in dock, Must apologose I can't remember your name.
    I always thought the Brit forces missed out by not following the Huey route.
    The yanks lost more in Nam then Wastelends have built Helis, yet another Political decsion on par with the Tucarno and SA 80.
    Euipment purchased for political expediancey then for the troops requirements.
    The Crabs have never helped always wanting the AAC to remain Teenny Weeny Airwats.
    john

12. Jon, if I remember correctly you were taken ill for a while in BK?

The Cfn was Jack F.

Any idea what Pete H is doing these days?

I enjoyed my time in Brunei, but any thoughts I had of an early stack followed by sipping G&T's while being fanned downed by bronzed maidens were sadly mistaken... Well all except the G&T's.

Good cabs the 212 though.

13. BBR

I served in Brunei at about the same time as yourself and yes, it was extremely busy there with the amount of Casevacs, but really rewarding.

I can remember looking at the ID plates of the AC to see when they were made and recall that one was made in or around '69 and another in 71/72.

I do think that they were American built, but before we got them they were totaly stripped and rebuilt by the mighty Bristows.

Good AC to maintain and relatively easy to fix.

14. Welcome aboard Chumley! Pm inbound.