RAF Holidays?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Unsworth, Sep 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been done already. "nothing here to see, move on please"!
    Perfectly good reasoning behind it actually, as long as its doen properly.

2. I did initially think I'd be jetting to the Med on my hols in the back seat of a GR-4, but this does make sense.

The bad bit is that Spain is doing the tanker conversion - is this by CASA for Airbus or "they were cheapest"? I thought we had Marshall's of Cambridge for this sort of thing, but have we lost them now?

Another thought: I believe the USAF looked at a similar idea with buying B-747 freighters and using them commercially when not "trooping", but the civilian airlines opted against as with all the additional "mil spec" weight they were not as commercially viable as "pure" civilian-spec models. Just hoping that RAF / MoD has not been done up like a kipper on this one (again)...

3. more pfi cr@p :(
    What next? RAF (pfi) leasing warplanes which will be rented to other countries when crabair doesn't need/can't afford to fly them!

4. Best PFI solution for us when we can't afford (and don't actually need) another whole aircraft plus support.

As for your second point - have a look at how Joint Strike Fighter is being procured - contracting for availability. Essentially we say how many hours we want to fly and we pay for that.

5. the tristars hav'nt been having days off in the last 20 years what thinks the brains behind this think there will be any spare time.
    is there a market for surplus tankers with lots of extra stuff on you can't look at like DAS :roll:

6. When GW1 kicked off the air cadets on summer camp at coltishall found themselfs painting jags "pink"

7. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

PFI, which is more or less leasing, with some extra bits in, is a reasonable way of avoiding capital costs and is done the world over for all sorts of kit. The UK has pioneered the use of the PFI is semi warlike capabilities

The concept of utilising spare capacity for other purposes when demand from your primary customer (the MoD) is not high is again a reasonable idea and works a treat in some areas like the Foreland Shipping PFI for the 6 Points Class RO-RO ships.

The problem comes when you get closer to the fighting because the kit becomes more war like and less useful in the civilian world. The RO-RO ships work well because they are not that much different from civvy RO-RO ships. The FSTA tanker deal is total nonsense because they will be fitted with lots of very expensive, very sensitive DAS and an RAF grey paint scheme. This desire to dual use drives the design as well, they are not fitted with a very obvious refuelling probe, which cannot be painted over when in civvy use. The lack of this capability is a huge impediment to operations

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

We already done that a few years back when we lent some Tornado F-3's to Italy.

9. I have to admit that I am somewhat amused by the mental image of a family of 4, chuffed to fcuk about picking up a great last minute deal at the travel agent, tipping up in Kandahar with buckets and spades in hand and an inflatable dolphin.

10. Family of 4 get straight back on the plane, leaving dolphin behind.

Said dolphin later killed by Taliban for being an infidel.... :p

11. More proof, if any was needed, that the lunatics have taken over the asylum.