RAF Harrier crew forced to eject

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by spike7451, Feb 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

RAF Harrier crew forced to eject

Harrier crew bang out

23 minutes ago

Two RAF men were injured when they were forced to eject from their aircraft in Cyprus.

The crew members were involved in a training exercise at their base in Akrotiri when it is believed their plane caught fire.

They were forced to eject and were taken to hospital with "non-life-threatening" injuries, a spokeswoman for the British armed forces in Cyprus said.

Investigators are trying to find out what happened.

The spokeswoman said: "The crew ejected safely and are being treated for non-life-threatening injuries."

The incident occurred just after 3.10pm local time, she said.

Akrotiri airfield opened in 1956 and is a permanent base for 84 Squadron, which performs search and rescue duties as well as supporting UN peacekeeping forces on the island.

It is also used by the RAF for training and as a staging post for transport aircraft.

Display team the Red Arrows also practises at the base from late March each year.

2. Good to hear they both banged out. All be it slightly shorter than before. Are they the first MB tie recipients this year?

3. That don't leave us with many trainers left

4. Glad to hear they are both ok. Is this part of the RAF decomissioning process for the harrier? ;-)

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

As far as I'm aware they are.
    They're probably in the mess by now sipping sherry... :p
    Forgot to say I'm glad they're ok.

6. When i first saw this i thought that they had to ditch in the stan. Wouldnt like to have to do that....

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Especially with a 5.56mil Walther PP & 14 rounds! 8O

8. Who forced them to eject ?
    Would they face disciplinary action if they didn't ?

Edited to state that I'm glad they are safe.

9. Only from a sandal wearing chap with a white beard. :wink:

10. The jet came into the hover over the runway at approx 100 feet (the pilot had a passenger an SAC!) Obviously cannot reveal their names but the pilot is very experienced.

As he was holding it in the hover a fire broke, out loss of power the pilot elected to eject straight away.

Both got out fine and are okay

11. Blimmin 'eck. Tres lucky teddy bears in that case. Even more so if the pax was non seat trained (I'm guessing the T10 has comd eject?).

12. That's some incident - glad to read they got out okay and are in one piece. What is the minimum altitude that one can hit the button?

13. It's the new "hands on training", I bet new underwear was required afterwards!

Thankfully no harm done to the chaps involved.

14. Spike will no doubt correct me but modern seats are 'zero/zero' meaning their envelope allows them to be operated on the ground with no speed and still achieve a successful eject. In the harriers case, gravity assisted from 100' means virtually no reaction time which makes this eject even more impressive.

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Yup,
    I'd heard it was a passenger in the back.
    Flashy,Harrier does have command eject.