RAF Gunner helps keeps Camp Bastion fed and secure

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by MoD_RSS, Oct 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. So I'll thank you to stop taking the piss out of the junior service.

3. Keeping so many guards supplied over such a large area is a logistical challenge as SAC Hayman explained:

"As the guards are on watch we have to feed them as well. Starting at half-six in the morning, which is a ridiculous time to be up, I drive around the airfield to take breakfast which is a breakfast roll.

"Lunch consists of a bag full of sausage rolls, crisps and chocolate bars. Then comes tea time. This is the worst for me. On this run I have to take boxes of cold water, make flasks, as some towers don't have kettles, then hot meals, which come in big, green, hot-lock food containers.

"Then we have snack bags containing more food, like doughnuts and more chocolate. Now to me this sounds like heaven, and they eat better than the other troops on base, who eat in the cookhouses. I still get the odd guard moan the food is rubbish or it's cold.

"As you can imagine, it can be annoying, but like any job you just smile and walk."

4. Sangar NCO is one of the worst jobs I had to volunteer my blokes for.

Can't believe its still a force protect responsibility.

5. The poor dear, half 6 is very early - Mong.

6. Good to the civvies/SRDG getting the press again :)

[​IMG]

Thought someone should post the old favourite

7. Hayman the Hymen is ******* mega :) What a walking vagina....

8. ''Other jobs that I’m involved in is filling sandbags to help make unloading. These are used to unload and load the weapon systems that the troops carry. I also assist in other tasks like Incident Control Points (ICP). We deploy to the scene of an incident and report back to the Officers what has happened and what needs to happen to return the scene to normality as soon as possible.

Next time I will go deeper and talk about my thoughts and feelings, but as this is the first blog I’ll leave it there. I hope I have explained things well and you are a bit interested. Speak to you all soon and thanks for reading. ''

The Duty Driver – My Role! « Helmand Blog – Afghanistan

This blog is run by Lt Nick Southall Royal Navy, (get a bloody grip!!) working from the Joint Media Operations Centre (JMOC) in Camp Bastion, Afghanistan.

The aim of the blog is to collate articles from across the web, providing a valuable resource of information on all the UK Armed Forces in Afghanistan.

9. Only the RAF SAS could put the "stay 50m away from the rear of the convoy" on the front of the wagon!

''Other jobs that I’m involved in is filling sandbags to help make unloading. These are used to unload and load the weapon systems that the troops carry.

So the dirty great purpose built hesco ones by the MEP aren't good enough then?

10. Maybe they're driving backwards?

11. Or Hayman the Haverbag & Haybox Humper!

12. I thought ensuring the security of this vital asset owed rather more to the ISAF assets who operate from it, and not least the awe-inspiring sums of money we provide to Afghan warlords to keep the place quiet, combined with their understandable commercial instinct to keep so many hefty contracts supplying, maintaining and expanding the place.

But the RAF regiment tinker around outside the wire... I suppose every little helps.

...But probably best not to get too boastful, eh?

Charlie

13. Afghanistan specific spending per head for UK military personal = £400,000.... Value for money!?

14. "As you can imagine, it can be annoying, but like any job you just smile and walk" tends to suggest he gets a fair bit of sh*t even before this story got published!