RAF Disbandment

Quietly milling about the HQ's this afternoon I overheard a couple of ruperts discussing the disbandment of the RAF, as it is surplus to requirements. The fast jet capability will be going to the Navy who already have this capability and the Heli going to the AAC, all other supporting elements being farmed out between the two more senior services, apparently this is due to the goverments defence restructuring, allowing more money to be generated for front line operations.

The RAF Regiment will be completley disbanded and will be divided among the Infantry Battalions with manpower shortfalls.

The RAF Regiments Airfield's security role will be taken on by the MPGS!

Has anyone else heard such rumours?

kes1 said:
So it was you that started it then? :wink:
Shush doris, grown ups talking about military things (well nearly, the RAF are merely the mildly aggressive wing of EasyJet).

Pop the kettle on, there's a dear :wink:

Wouldn't be the first time.

During the '44 Normandy exercise loads of surplus to requirement pilots who would never see a plane before the end of the war were forced into the infantry and sent to fight with the bare minimum of trg.

Some RAF Regt units were also changed en mass to the full infantry role, including uniform and beret changes which did little to help morale before they were thrown against Hitlers forces.

Some were volunteers but most were pressed men - needs must and all that - stiff upper lip and best fighting trousers on.

Imagine that, one minute its a quick 20 min blast over Caen and home in time for tea and medals, the next its 20 mins to dig your slit trench and home in time for xmas (maybe!!).

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
kes1 said:
Shush doris, grown ups talking about military things (well nearly, the RAF are merely the mildly aggressive wing of EasyJet).

Grown ups? Where? :?

I think the AAC should transfer to the RAF!

you'd look so much better in crab grey ;)

Maybe this should be stuck in the 'Best Rumour You Have Started' thread... though imagine if enough ARRSE'rs did start talking about it, it crept its way up top and it made the powers that be think about actually doing it.. :p

kes1 said:

Totally agree. I dont actually give a fuck who I fly for so long as they A. let me fly and B. pay me a large bag of money. :D

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
kes1 said:

Totally agree. I dont actually give a fuck who I fly for so long as they A. let me fly and B. pay me a large bag of money. :D
Flashy admitting he'd be happy to be a crab?! :(

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
kes1 said:
Flashy admitting he'd be happy to be a crab?! :(
If Dorothy Perkins operated military helicopters, I'd fly for them. Dont care who operates them so long as they actually operate them properly :D
Shame the AAC can't get pilots that DON'T break the cabs every 5 mins though :twisted:

Bowmore_Assassin

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bugger, somebody has clearly nicked my laptop with the plan I wrote. I knew I'd left it somewhere I shouldn't have...

(Wah alert on full..)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I seem to remember this topic coming round at least once a month, but since this is the NAAFI:

Yes it's definitely 100% true, the RAF are being disbanded. The Jets are going to the Fleet Air Arm the whirlybirds are going to the AAC, the transport is going to be sub-contracted to Sodexho and the RAF Regiment are being absorbed into the Pioneers. All other non-essential personnel will be given new and challenging jobs with local councils.

The RAF Police are going to become PCSOs and traffic wardens.

ugly

LE
jackarrse216 said:
Wouldn't be the first time.

During the '44 Normandy exercise loads of surplus to requirement pilots who would never see a plane before the end of the war were forced into the infantry and sent to fight with the bare minimum of trg.

Some RAF Regt units were also changed en mass to the full infantry role, including uniform and beret changes which did little to help morale before they were thrown against Hitlers forces.

Some were volunteers but most were pressed men - needs must and all that - stiff upper lip and best fighting trousers on.

Imagine that, one minute its a quick 20 min blast over Caen and home in time for tea and medals, the next its 20 mins to dig your slit trench and home in time for xmas (maybe!!).
This was covered very well in a book about the desert rats in Normandy. After withdrawal post goodwood the Irish gds element was used to train whole sqns of RAF regt who were remustered into infantry.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
kes1 said:

Don't talk shite. Since when were the RAF more aggressive than EasyJet? Those orange horrors make a platoon of pissed-up Paras seem like peace loving hippies.

sookmabaws said:
Quietly milling about the HQ's this afternoon I overheard a couple of ruperts discussing the disbandment of the RAF, as it is surplus to requirements. The fast jet capability will be going to the Navy who already have this capability and the Heli going to the AAC, all other supporting elements being farmed out between the two more senior services, apparently this is due to the goverments defence restructuring, allowing more money to be generated for front line operations.

The RAF Regiment will be completley disbanded and will be divided among the Infantry Battalions with manpower shortfalls.

The RAF Regiments Airfield's security role will be taken on by the MPGS!

Has anyone else heard such rumours?
I heard a rumour that the Army is being disbanded and all their budget is being given to the RAF. They reckon its a joke that after spending days and days, shooting their tiny little guns at enemy targets, the Army then go grovelling to the RAF, so they can drop a 1000lb bomb and finish the job off. Apparantly, this is the ONLY way the Army can be sure they have beaten their enemy. The powers that be have finally said enough is enough, and are going to cut out the middle man (Army).
The Army personell with IQ's above 65 are going to be transferred to the RAF as stewards, that should boost RAF numbers in that trade by 13.
All other docile Army pongos will be sent straight to a newly built prison, again the Government, have anticipated a crime wave following the disbandment, and will again cut out the middle man by sending the Pongos straight to prison. In prison, the pongos will be made to hand sew the RAF's new uniforms and hand wash all the RAF's fast jets on return from OP's.

Feck me, best rumour Ive EVER heard. I mean, anyone can be cannon fodder, but it takes brains to fly, operate and maintain £69 Million fast jets. I once showed a REME lad an Electrical diagram, he said he had never been on the London Underground so I was wasting my time asking him help me out. Feck wit !!

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
kes1 said:

You trust her with a kettle? :?

Has a full H & S Assessment been carried out and a suitable stepladder supplied?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 16
Good CO The Intelligence Cell 4
bullshit The Intelligence Cell 6