RAF Disbandment

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by sookmabaws, Aug 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quietly milling about the HQ's this afternoon I overheard a couple of ruperts discussing the disbandment of the RAF, as it is surplus to requirements. The fast jet capability will be going to the Navy who already have this capability and the Heli going to the AAC, all other supporting elements being farmed out between the two more senior services, apparently this is due to the goverments defence restructuring, allowing more money to be generated for front line operations.

The RAF Regiment will be completley disbanded and will be divided among the Infantry Battalions with manpower shortfalls.

The RAF Regiments Airfield's security role will be taken on by the MPGS!

Has anyone else heard such rumours?
  2. I think someone's been pulling your leg mate. It's a feasible idea, but i doubt it will happen.

3. Only for about the past 91 years :roll:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. We can only dream... :D

5. So it was you that started it then? :wink:
  6. Shush doris, grown ups talking about military things (well nearly, the RAF are merely the mildly aggressive wing of EasyJet).

Pop the kettle on, there's a dear :wink:
  7. Wouldn't be the first time.

During the '44 Normandy exercise loads of surplus to requirement pilots who would never see a plane before the end of the war were forced into the infantry and sent to fight with the bare minimum of trg.

Some RAF Regt units were also changed en mass to the full infantry role, including uniform and beret changes which did little to help morale before they were thrown against Hitlers forces.

Some were volunteers but most were pressed men - needs must and all that - stiff upper lip and best fighting trousers on.

Imagine that, one minute its a quick 20 min blast over Caen and home in time for tea and medals, the next its 20 mins to dig your slit trench and home in time for xmas (maybe!!).
  8. Grown ups? Where? :?

I think the AAC should transfer to the RAF!

you'd look so much better in crab grey ;)
  9. Maybe this should be stuck in the 'Best Rumour You Have Started' thread... though imagine if enough ARRSE'rs did start talking about it, it crept its way up top and it made the powers that be think about actually doing it.. :p
  10. Totally agree. I dont actually give a fuck who I fly for so long as they A. let me fly and B. pay me a large bag of money. :D
  11. Flashy admitting he'd be happy to be a crab?! :(
  12. If Dorothy Perkins operated military helicopters, I'd fly for them. Dont care who operates them so long as they actually operate them properly :D
  13. Shame the AAC can't get pilots that DON'T break the cabs every 5 mins though :twisted:
  14. I DONT break them!

I just find faults the REMEs haven't fixed yet. :wink:
  15. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Bugger, somebody has clearly nicked my laptop with the plan I wrote. I knew I'd left it somewhere I shouldn't have...

(Wah alert on full..)