RAF cut backs v RAF recruiting.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by filthboy1979, Aug 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This week I have seen many adverts on tv advertising careers with the RAF, yet the media are saying that up to 1000 will lose their jobs in the near future.

Also with the media referring to RAF "staff", are they meaning blue rocket canteen civilian types or Armed Forces Personnel which, i believe is a better term to use than "staff".

Good luck to those that want to stay in.
  2. There's still loads of Army recruiting ads around too and we're getting rid of loads. No point stopping recruiting because eventually you end up with no Ptes because everyone's been promoted to fill the slots above them.
  3. Fair one.
  4. You always need a steady flow of people in - the RN turned off rating recruitment back in the early 1990s for about 2 years and its still suffering now. The so called 'black hole' has gone through the system, which has led to major shortages of ratings at every level, as people arent coming up through the system. I think its hitting the PO / CPO level now, and its a major problem.

Easier to make existing SNCOs redundant, but promote within in due course, than not recruit and not have anyone to be an SNCO later on.
  5. Unlike civvie companies we can't recruit in middle to senior management as and when...

So we need (not so much now) sausage meat in the machine, so the sausages keep coming out in a big string.... no sausage meat, a rather flacid sausage skin that looks horrible.... We don't want a sausage that looks horrible.

I could use the Rarden analogy too.
  6. I'm pretty sure that a) some ratings branches have four year waiting lists and b) the RN 'switched off' recruitment of Ratings last year until 1 May this year.
  7. Indeed - new entry isn't running for a few months, but that was because there was a huge backlog of people who had come through recruitment and were waiting to join. Back in the 1990s they just scrapped everything and hard to start again from scratch, which was a mistake that will never happen again.
  8. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I've noticed that most of the adverts I've seen (possibly all of them) have been for RAF Reserve and not the full-time Service. Is that part of a wider scheme to move more people to reserve capability and shift some of the capability over to a "part-time" footing?
  9. One would hope.
  10. msr

msr LE

11. There is certainly a drive on at the moment for the reserves. The idea being to have all reserve units up to full strength by 2015, I believe in preparation for FR2020.