RAF considering operating from Motorways.

Which of our military airfield runways are topped with Tarmac?
Most, only the thresholds have concrete. Although that didn't work out well once at Lossie when a Tornado took off slightly beyond the concrete and the burners ripped the tarmac up, oopppsss!

From what I know of motorways, the hotel accommodation at service areas is nearly always of the low budget Premier Inn/Travelodge type. Would crabs even consider this?

Alamo

LE
I think people are confusing the presence of a large strip of black top, the ability to land at an airfield in-extremis, and the ability to operate from it. The 3 are all different and our ability to do the latter is pretty much limited to the places we do it from now.

The moterways in South Korea (called Expressways) are all designed to operate military aircraft in an emergency. But then again they have a real and immediate threat a few miles to the north.

I think people are confusing the presence of a large strip of black top, the ability to land at an airfield in-extremis, and the ability to operate from it. The 3 are all different and our ability to do the latter is pretty much limited to the places we do it from now.
You are forgetting we have smart motorways now.

Jacl

Old-Salt
I'm going off Wiki here, but they list a fair few RAF stations which were V Bomber Dispersals, are still in service and can take FW jets.

Off the top of my head;

Boscombe
Cranwell
Leeming
Yeovilton
Shawbury
Lossie
For some of those airfields there's the question of runway length and LCN, which might well disqualify them for the V force, eg Shawbury and Cranwell.

My memory is that Singapore used to close one of their Expressways annually in order that the SAF practice landings and take-offs and that sections of the the highway were constructed with that in mind,

Turns out it's not annually but has happened a few times
I'm not sure if the road in the video is an expressway but interesting nevertheless

Link: Singapore Jets Land on Highway

For some of those airfields there's the question of runway length and LCN, which might well disqualify them for the V force, eg Shawbury and Cranwell.
I saw a Victor land at Shawbury in 1993 - probably quite light, because it was the last Victor flight and destined for the Cosford museum. The Airfield's dispersal role was for postage and courier purposes but had ORPs for Canberras.

Last edited:
Only if landing vertically. Anyway, the whole idea of the concept is to dive in for fuel and weapons and shoot off again. If you scorch the road while doing it, it doesn't matter: you won't be back and the bad guys will already have rocket artillery in the air to make sure of it.

well for the reasons already outlined by others gantries, lights, roadworks etc make motorways being used as runways problematic…. But not as much of an issue for F35B’s (if you don’t mind melting the surface)

Smart Motorways for Smart Bombs.

Alamo

LE
Well it looked alright last month. Never mind, forget I asked...
Oh well it must be fine then. Never mind an expert assessment of the actual state of the runway’s serviceability, it’s load carrying ability, the taxiways, airfield lighting, navaids, explosive storage area, aircraft servicing areas, bulk fuel areas, licenced live-armed slots and engineering facilities, we’ll move in next week.
Sorry, I really don’t want to be flippant, but as I said above the presence of a long strip of black stuff and it’s use in reality are totally different.

Ah well you could shorten the length of the runway needed by having the odd strategically placed aircraft ski jump on some slip roads. They could doubleup as skateboarding parks or Eddie the Eagle training grounds just to keep Ivan guessing:cool:

Latest Threads