RAF considering operating from Motorways.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I think we should think big and turn some super tankers into aircraft carriers while we're about it.

arfah

ADC
B7CD2CA6-1342-469F-9806-F2222E2DF9D1.jpeg

Identify the FOD hazard.

No.1 The traffic cone.

Where was that?

Baghdad about 2004/5ish iirc

Did have a full set of photos at 1 point of this and the tristar that took off from Lyon (again IIRC) into a hail storm - looked like someone had taken a ball pein hammer to her.

Both were reputedly coming to us for repair - the Tristar didnt because assessors decided she was a write off - given hours and value - no point.

As to the Herc - it was pretty obvious from even a cursory glance at the pics that rumours regarding it coming to us (or going anywhere) were unfounded, even James Stewart and Richard Attenborough werent getting that bugger airborne.

Londo

LE
How much civilian air traffic do you foresee during any hostilities?
Loads and loads .
Reinforcement flights from the good old USA for starters using requisitioned civil airliners .
Humanitarian flights bringing back civies and wounded from Europe . for starters .
Our sky's will never be busier

japseyewarrior

Old-Salt
Waddington, Waddington, Waddington and Waddington.
The rest are either civvy airfields or flogged off for other use, eg industrial or housing estate.
I'm going off Wiki here, but they list a fair few RAF stations which were V Bomber Dispersals, are still in service and can take FW jets.

Off the top of my head;

Boscombe
Cranwell
Leeming
Yeovilton
Shawbury
Lossie

R0B

War Hero
I'm going off Wiki here, but they list a fair few RAF stations which were V Bomber Dispersals, are still in service and can take FW jets.

Off the top of my head;

Boscombe
Cranwell
Leeming
Yeovilton
Shawbury
Lossie
Honington still has the Victor QRA area on the 27 end of the runway and could still take fast jets but no fuel facilities anymore.

Honington still has the Victor QRA area on the 27 end of the runway and could still take fast jets but no fuel facilities anymore.
I'm not sure approach and departure templates have been safeguarded and the operating surfaces, approach aids and lighting are unlikely to have been maintained

Wouldn’t the F35s just melt the road?
Only if landing vertically. Anyway, the whole idea of the concept is to dive in for fuel and weapons and shoot off again. If you scorch the road while doing it, it doesn't matter: you won't be back and the bad guys will already have rocket artillery in the air to make sure of it.

Only if landing vertically. Anyway, the whole idea of the concept is to dive in for fuel and weapons and shoot off again. If you scorch the road while doing it, it doesn't matter: you won't be back and the bad guys will already have rocket artillery in the air to make sure of it.
And that is why ADR Squadrons exist in the RE....

Latest Threads