RAF - Confirmed kills since WW2

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by TheSpecialOne, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that after World War 2 the Fleet Air Arm has had success in shooting down baddies, but has the RAF had any successes? (not including RAF attached to FAA).
  2. Yes ... the RAF Regiment shoot themselves down every time one of them posts on ARRSE :)

3. LMFAO :D
  4. The RAF shot down a couple of Egyptian aircraft in 1948. They may have shot down Israeli aircraft, but this is uinconfirmed.

They were not deployed to Korea, although several RAF pilots on exchange duty with the USAF (and possibly 77 Sqn RAAF, I forget off the top of my head) shot down North Korean and Chinese aircraft.

There were no official air to air encounters in 1956 at Suez, although there is a persistant rumour that an RAF Venom might have shot down an Egyptian aircraft.

There were no recorded air-to-air engagements during the Confrontation with Indonesia, but there is circumstantial evidence to suggest that there was at least one air-to-air kill, by a Gloster Javelin, and possibly another by a Hunter.

The RAF did not deploy fighters to the Falklands during the conflict (for obvious reasons), but RAF pilots seconded to the SHARs shot down a number of Argentine aircraft. The leading scorer was Flt Lt Dave Morgan (who later transferred to the FAA to command a SHAR squadron).

On Granby, the Tornado F3 was used for defensive counter air; the main OCA effort was carried out by the USAF. On one occasion, an F3 CAP was vectored against a flight of Iraqi Mirage F1s, but was hauled off at the last moment by the AWACs, which vectored two Saudi F-15s onto the Iraqis. I think it is fair to say thjat the general consensus is that the subsequent engagement would have resulted in more Iraqi losses had the F3s been left to get on with it. An AWACS also vectored a flight of Jaguars against an inbound Iraqi sweep, but the Iraqis were tidied up by a USAF CAP which was closer.

No opportunities presented themselves during the FRY No Fly Zones, or during Allied Force. The same is true of the Iraqi NFZs as far as is known. As the Iraqis didn't fly during Telic, there was a similar lack of opportunity there.
  5. Surprised nobody's already mentioned the Phantom that bagged a Jaguar Sausage-side in 1982 or so.
  6. They completely missed the runway on the Falkland Islands with their bombing efforts - one would have thought that if the prats couldn't hit a stationary target as big as an airfield they'd have real trouble hitting anything moving about a bit sharpish in the air.

Let's just admit it and face facts - we don't need an air force anymore - never did in my humble opinion. Come on CDS, bite the fcuking bullet and split it up - give half to the RCT or whatever they're called these days, a bit to the Royal Flying Corps and the rest to the Navy. Job done.
  7. They got one of 21 bombs on the runway so not a complete failure, forcing the Argentine to consider an additional dimension in the conflict. Black Buck six destroyed an Argentine radar and killed 4 and as an added bonus ended up in Rio on rates, no Samsonite on board though.
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

There used to be a sign at Cranwell IIRC in the '80's
    It went something like

Since WW2 the FAA have shot down 12 aircraft (including RAF attached pilots)
    The RAF have shot down two
    1 X Jaguar which was shot down by a Phantom during and exercise in Germany
    1 X Harrier which was brought down by a pilot diving through his own 30 mil rounds on a range and ejecting after suffering muliple hits (possible urban myth)

However a number of RAF pilots were attached to Sabre Sqns during Korea and got a number of kills
  9. That would be 2 then?
  10. How did Biggles manage that?
  11. I once saw a RAF Reg rover take out a hedgehog at Aldergrove. So does roadkill count?

12. Ricochetting rounds would sound plausible, rather than the unlikely scenario of overtaking that which he'd recently let loose.
  13. Failed aircrew selection did we Queenie?
  14. No, because having checked this, they actually shot down four Egyptians, while 6 Squadron may have bagged an Israeli Spitfire in 1949 according to some sources.

So the answer is at least four, and possibly as many as eight with the figure rising if you include those on exchange postings to the USAF and FAA.

With regard to the Harrier story - one Harrier GR3 was lost in 1979 as a result of a 30mm round ricocheting into the airframe after a strafing run, and a second may have been lost to a similar cause in 1983, but the aircraft went into the sea off Holbeach, and the pilot went in with it, so the cause couldn't be positively determined.

There is another urban legend out there which has an RAFG Lightning shooting down a Harrier after the pilot abandoned it after engine failure (he tried to relight it several time, couldn't, but the blast from the Martin Baker's rocket motor restarted it...), but that one crashed of its own accord.
  15. Think I saw an RAF Sqn down a pint between them once in the Falklands. They were in a bad way though after that though. The runway didn't get checked for FOD for days.