RAF compensation outrage!

RAF CLERK GETS £484,000 FOR TYPING INJURY

By Lewis Panther

A CLERK in the RAF has been paid £484,000 compensation for an RSI-style wrist injury—nearly NINE TIMES what a soldier would get if his leg was blown off in action.

The scandalous payout, which will astonish troops who have been mutilated in Iraq and Afghanistan, went to an unnamed typist in her twenties who developed the strain in her right hand.

She had been inputting Royal Air Force data and medical experts judged her work-related injury would prevent her finding a new job.

Yet a serving soldier who comes home from war suffering "permanent severely impaired grip in both hands" would receive only £16,500 compensation.

Amazingly, the official tariff of payments to servicemen and women shows they can expect just £28,750 for blindness in one eye, £57,500 for loss of a leg and £8,250 for injuries sustained surviving a gunshot wound to the torso.

To qualify for the highest Ministry of Defence payout— £285,000 for a "Level 1" injury — a squaddie would need to lose BOTH arms and BOTH legs.

Outrageous

Jerome Church, secretary of the British Limbless Ex-Servicemen's Association, said last night: "It would be laughable if it wasn't so totally outrageous.

"If you can get half a million for tapping on one of the Queen's typewriters, that's many times what you'd get for being crippled fighting the Queen's enemies. Hearing about this would certainly upset the soldiers coming back from war zones with serious injuries."

Badly-injured TA Corporal Scott Garthley, 39, from Northampton, was a £75,000-a-year bank executive before the 2003 Iraq war—but now he is unable to work and is struggling to survive on a war pension of just £70.

Scott was hit by a Scud missile blast and suffered spine, knee and shoulder injuries, followed by depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. Four years on, he is still fighting the MoD for compensation and his case is not even scheduled to be heard.

He said: "It's not fair that people injured in war zones are getting less—and have to fight tooth and nail for compensation." Major Charles Heyman, editor of Armed Forces Of The UK, added: "An award like this to a civilian who is never going to be in fear of her life drags down morale. The soldiers will be astounded."

Justifying the award, the MoD said: "Medical experts agreed that the claimant would be unlikely to return to part or full-time work as the condition had become permanent. The £484,000 is made up of compensation and legal costs."

Up to the end of 2006, wounded Iraq veterans had made 45 compo claims. Their awards added up to almost £750,000—or £16,500 each.
Link to story

Be interesting to see just how much of the £484,000 is going to the Clerk in compensation and how much is going to the lawyers in legal costs.

If she gets more than ANY injured squaddie it is a total disgrace, as an ex crab I know these scribblies do sod all anyway.

Funny how when I left I was diagnosed with about 25 - 30% hearing loss in my left ear. But then I was told that wearing a headset was part of an Air Traffickers job.

Why on earth wasnt she told the same about her typing ??

I don't agree with compensation at all in a case like this, if your wrists start to hurt when you are typing then you need to flag it, and remove yourself from that proffession. Not carrying on until YOU knacker YOUR wrists, then demand that the country pays for your incompetence.

Completely different from a case involving personnel injured on OPS, and should definitly not have such a massive difference between the payouts.

Stupid snake should have bought herself a wrist support.

It's amazing how many one armed amputees can hold down a job. Why can't she? In my former workplaec we had someone with RSI in both wrists and we were still able to find her suitable alternative work.

Seems to me someone didn't have any common sense and retrade her.

:x disgusting

WRAPJOBAGAIN said:
thats the RAF for you.
Before we get too emotive about "RAF" outrages, remember that this is simply a civilian case against an employer, not a RAF special rate. The same kind of payment would be won by a SPS wallah for the same style injury as would any civilian against their own company. Good old H&S! 8O

The outrage is that civilians are far better protected than Forces personnel are in general. Perhaps a realignment of Forces compensation payment rates is in order?

Anyone know how long the payment levels as are have been in force? When was the last major review?

Q
Is this person a serving member of RAF?
OR
a civil administrator (who works for RAF)?

I can't see the Station Cmdr / AOC ever letting that one go through
She must be a civilian

Putting this particular case aside for the moment (I've already contributed my twopenn'orth about the ridiculous state of our "compensation culture" in a different thread) I think the main thing this story does is highlight just how woefully neglected our wounded service personnel continue to be by the very government who sent them in harms way in the first place. Once again the most deserving are the most ill-used, simply because the treasury begrudges spending anything on people who have sacrificed so much.

I'd better stop now, my blood's boiling!!! :x

in_the_cheapseats said:
The outrage is that civilians are far better protected than Forces personnel are in general. Perhaps a realignment of Forces compensation payment rates is in order?
Exactly! Couldn't agree with you more.

SparkySteve said:
I don't agree with compensation at all in a case like this, if your wrists start to hurt when you are typing then you need to flag it, and remove yourself from that proffession. Not carrying on until YOU knacker YOUR wrists, then demand that the country pays for your incompetence.

Completely different from a case involving personnel injured on OPS, and should definitly not have such a massive difference between the payouts.

Alas, it doesn't work like that. I got RSI from typing about 10 years ago. It didn't actually hurt when typing but only at night (and boy was it painful). It took a long time to work out what the problem was and by then I needed an op. The company paid for the op but I was left with numb fingers. I found it easier to write with thick rubbery pens than the company issue plastic ones. I went, very tongue in cheek, to HR and asked if I could claim for the pens that I was buying on expenses. She said "of course, provided you bring in a doctors note stating that you need them". B*gg*r, outwitted again! So I carried on buying my own pens. Never considered compensation. Still type slowy because I can't quite feel the keys. Still, lots worse off than me.

I wonder if this bint has/still types elsewhere? If so, how does she know where the damage was done? Whole compensation culture stinks. People should get off their arrse and help themselves. If they don't - no handout.

She had been inputting Royal Air Force data and medical experts judged her work-related injury would prevent her finding a new job.
Utter & total nonsense, she’s got a normal left hand & some pain in her right, retrain find something different.

Funbags said:
Be interesting to see just how much of the £484,000 is going to the Clerk in compensation and how much is going to the lawyers in legal costs.

If she gets more than ANY injured squaddie it is a total disgrace, as an ex crab I know these scribblies do sod all anyway.

Funny how when I left I was diagnosed with about 25 - 30% hearing loss in my left ear. But then I was told that wearing a headset was part of an Air Traffickers job.

Why on earth wasnt she told the same about her typing ??
Fully agree with you there! I'm supprised the injury was'nt to her arrse! (Piles & all that!)
Feck,the shiney's we had a Bruggen were so feckin useless,they could'nt even book my flights home properly! (Cnuts had me AWOL once when the eejit cleark arranged for me to do guard duty while I was away on leave in Belfast!)
But I as well have noticed my hearing is a bit iffy.My doc reckons it comes from working on fast jet squadrons.
(Wonder if I can claim for the crushed finger when J.C accidentally trapped it between to bomb trollies....)

C'mon guys - this is a wind-up?

Even with the 'frog-mouthed-witch-cow' acting for you (and acting would be the word) surely this is a pretty piece of fiction?

Please, please tell me this is so - if I beg, will that do?

i dont know why i read these stories, it just gets me insanly angry.

SparkySteve said:

Stupid snake should have bought herself a wrist support.[/quote

Show's how much effort you would put into your job then Sparky, my wife has the same complaint but if she didnt do the work - it would not get done by anyone. She is too much of a professional not to carry on, she has flagged up her complaint on numerous occassions - the system will not replace her and her department is undermanned as it is. SO who would do the work? Easy to sit there and say well I wouldn't in her case, but you know you would unless you are a total selfish W*nker and would be quite happy to let your colleagues down. This is a typical scenerio that the system is quite happy for to happen (the system being the MOD) so if they are stung for stupid amounts then its their own fault. BTW I totally agree that compo claims are out of control but putting a RSI injury claim against a horrendous injury caused in an operation is unfair. The effing lawyers and the Mod should be the two organisations lambasted here, the compensation claims for injuries on operations that involve loss of any limb should start at a minimum of £100k regardless.

chimp503 said:
SparkySteve said:

Show's how much effort you would put into your job then Sparky, my wife has the same complaint but if she didnt do the work - it would not get done by anyone. She is too much of a professional not to carry on, she has flagged up her complaint on numerous occassions - the system will not replace her and her department is undermanned as it is. SO who would do the work? Easy to sit there and say well I wouldn't in her case, but you know you would unless you are a total selfish W*nker and would be quite happy to let your colleagues down. This is a typical scenerio that the system is quite happy for to happen (the system being the MOD) so if they are stung for stupid amounts then its their own fault. BTW I totally agree that compo claims are out of control but putting a RSI injury claim against a horrendous injury caused in an operation is unfair. The effing lawyers and the Mod should be the two organisations lambasted here, the compensation claims for injuries on operations that involve loss of any limb should start at a minimum of £100k regardless.
Steady now, i am by no means a "total selfish W*nker", i am mearly statin that there are other means of getting around these situations, rather than letting it become ridiculous and then claiming after the event.

I agree with your statement in saying that comparing injuries that are completely different is silly, but principles remain and i think that compo payouts should be re-aligned again in todays "Compensation culture".

I am sorry to hear that your Wife is hurting chimp, and i hope that she recovers soon.

Regards,
SparkySteve