RAF- civvies no longer in uniform

No, we’re not. This is a bit of ‘advice’ from some bint who sits in an advisory capacity on an advisory board.

Polyester

Old-Salt
Sorry, couldn’t read the entire piece. It’s behind a paywall. Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t this to do with MOD London, specifically MB? As opposed to the wider RAF? Happy to be corrected.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Sorry, couldn’t read the entire piece. It’s behind a paywall. Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t this to do with MOD London, specifically MB? As opposed to the wider RAF? Happy to be corrected.
Are Plain Clothes not worn all the time by MoD personnel in London ? Uniform for special events/duties only ?

maritime

Old-Salt
Slight drift. Younger brother is a full screw, M.T. and has a 'full set'. When/why were rules changed?

Polyester

Old-Salt
Are Plain Clothes not worn all the time by MoD personnel in London ? Uniform for special events/duties only ?
Not sure, I was a mere scrote so this would be well outside my area of experience. I found it odd that the OP stated RAF personnel would come in to work in civvies. This would be awkward given that, like the other Services our uniform is often our PPE. I had read about a civvy advisor (as mentioned above) making the suggestion of dress down Friday in MB, that it had been considered and then hoofed.

Last edited:
Last edited:
As Solo Dave says, this was proposed by one of the NEDs on the Air Force Board; I think it was Sally Boyle of Goldman Sachs who noted that her firm has dress-down Fridays, so why doesn't the RAF. All I'm going to say is that it's a good job that Timo Anderson has retired and wasn't there to hear the suggestion...

Slight drift. Younger brother is a full screw, M.T. and has a 'full set'. When/why were rules changed?
Changed about a year ago, I think. The reasoning was to the effect that so long as the beard didn't have ringlets, or extend, ZZ Top-like, down to the waste, or have birds nesting in it, etc, etc, why not? There were, I gather, individuals who wanted to grow beards (ISTR the inevitable 'that includes some of the women!' observations on Pprune) and who thought that the restriction was a bit petty, not treating them like grown-ups, etc, etc. The AFB then asked the 'what's the reason for the regulation?' - doing so almost literally with the famous picture of George V, complete with full set and in full RAF uniform in the background - and concluded that while there might be operational reasons which would compel the removal of the beard, there didn't seem to be any justification in retaining the regulation (from the RFC), so allowed beards (ghostly cheers from ex-RNAS personnel).

Full sets for both the Army and RAF I thought had more to do with fitting of respirators and the whole NBC thing, since that threat has subsided there isn't a need for that to be the case and Full sets can now be grown.

Couldn't really imagine a Typhoon jockey doing QRA on a Friday dressed only in his little black party dress and killer heels.

syrup

LE

I was MT when I came back from Cyprus in 94 I was given a civvie clothes allowance to get some clothes for work.
I had to buy 1 suit, shirt tie shoes etc.
The rest was "smart casual"
Almost all of camp runs were done in some sort of civvies only rule was no jeans.
London always civvies unless a formal do where uniform was required.

All the cars had civvie plates so why wear a uniform
Very rarely wore it
Cyprus I wore it about 3 times in 3 years

maritime

Old-Salt
As Solo Dave says, this was proposed by one of the NEDs on the Air Force Board; I think it was Sally Boyle of Goldman Sachs who noted that her firm has dress-down Fridays, so why doesn't the RAF. All I'm going to say is that it's a good job that Timo Anderson has retired and wasn't there to hear the suggestion...

Changed about a year ago, I think. The reasoning was to the effect that so long as the beard didn't have ringlets, or extend, ZZ Top-like, down to the waste, or have birds nesting in it, etc, etc, why not? There were, I gather, individuals who wanted to grow beards (ISTR the inevitable 'that includes some of the women!' observations on Pprune) and who thought that the restriction was a bit petty, not treating them like grown-ups, etc, etc. The AFB then asked the 'what's the reason for the regulation?' - doing so almost literally with the famous picture of George V, complete with full set and in full RAF uniform in the background - and concluded that while there might be operational reasons which would compel the removal of the beard, there didn't seem to be any justification in retaining the regulation (from the RFC), so allowed beards (ghostly cheers from ex-RNAS personnel).
Ta. I did ask him but all he knew was, he just could. He's ex matelot as well.

'what's the reason for the regulation?' - doing so almost literally with the famous picture of George V, complete with full set and in full RAF uniform in the background - and concluded that while there might be operational reasons which would compel the removal of the beard, there didn't seem to be any justification in retaining the regulation
That will never catch on in the Army, just because there is no reason to do something anymore doesnt mean that the Army is going to stop. You only have to read some of the replies on here to get feel of how some people are so brainwashed by the military that they never question why they do something pointless, they just continue to do it.

Last edited:

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
We have (or did before the 'rona) non uniform days on Fridays here at NDHQ in Ottawa. Being Canada it is all very relaxed and in the heat of summer it is nice to wear shorts to work. I believe the main reason it happened back in the mist of time was to allow people to go straight from work to the cottage/boat on the weekend. Possibly a gen dit but who knows.

Be plenty of blokes rocking up on a Friday with their lasses knickers on............oh, hang on it's the RAF.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Full sets for both the Army and RAF I thought had more to do with fitting of respirators and the whole NBC thing, since that threat has subsided there isn't a need for that to be the case and Full sets can now be grown.
There were all sorts of noises made about 'Look at the SF in Afghanistan' and so on.

The thing being that at the point there becomes a CBRN threat, out comes the razor.

Latest Threads