RAF Chief becomes new Chief of the Defence Staff

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Radical_Dreamer, Apr 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hearty welcome to Sir Jock, farewell to Sir Michael.

2. He's been a breath of fresh air for the Royal Air Force, hopefully this will continue into his new post.

3. Perhaps Sir Jock may give consideration to a Forces Federation?

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I imagine he'll be more open minded than his predecessor.

Gen Walker says, in the interview:
    Just so long as all that change and flexibility doesn't involve changing anything, eh Sir Mike?

5. "Interestingly, more than three quarters of the British population think that the armed forces are a good institution."
    So said the outgoing CDS.

Hard to know whether to laugh or cry, really.

6. ...and reading the rest of Gen Walker's replies to the interview questions, it strikes me that he was rather lamely attempting a bit of New Labour-type spin in much of it, while injecting a bit of rah-rah 'our boys' guff for effect plus some text from the departmental PR about 'positives' and 'negatives'. I thought that British military leaders these days were supersaturated with the do's and don'ts of political and PR nuance. Not impressed, frankly. I hope the crab chap does better.

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Whiskybreath - when someome reaches the dizzy ranks these people have they are no longer 'servicemen'. They are civil servants who have some time in uniform. The role is not military but to do what your politicos want you to do - even if that is not the best military solution. This is my own humble opinion which I am quite happy to take up with the denizens of Whitehall.