RAF Brize Norton v RAF Lyneham (Repatriation Flights)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Int Indicates, Jun 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe I am being cynical but are repatriation flights now landing at Lyneham (Wiltshire) to avoid the Oxford Coroner therefore criticism of the Govt.

2. I think you hit the nail on the head - I don't think it is cynical though as the backlog of inquests in Oxford is enormous.

Why not go somewhere else and let the families conclude their grieving after the inquest earlier?

G

3. That is a cynical commet. As if 'the Honourable Members' would do such a thing. Freedom of expression is cherished in this country an in this respect HMG sets a shining example. I'm sure that there is an operational reason for this which is unfettered by nods and winks of the Honours system.

4. Apparently, Brize is closed for runway resurfacing!

And this has nothing to do with Andrew Walker's criticism of the MoD or Clause 64 and three other clauses of this Bill will give the Home Secretary the power to hold military inquests in private, without a jury or the press and with a judge and lawyers vetted by the Government, on the grounds of national security and " any other public interest".

And if anyone asks you any questions at all, we didn't receive any messages and we definitely did not shoot this plump breasted pigeon.

5. Flights were, indeed, relocated at the start of the runway resurfacing at BZZ but the resurfacing and airfield upgrade was completed some time ago.

6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Perhaps an email to SOS may get an answer.

7. Why not bring them in to Heathrow, if Bush can use it why not the Army.

Also if they can through the Airport, more people would see them being brought home, bet T4 would fall silent and people would start clapping if that was to happen, I feel we under estimate the general publics feeling towards the forces, just look at what has happend in Colchester over the last few weeks, it seems to me its more the Government and local Councils are Embarrassed about the deaths and would rather the public did not see what was going on instead of being proud of them

Just my thoughts

Duncan

8. Dunc, if they were brought through LHR they'd get lost in the luggage!

Being less glib, the Government would never allow so public display of the cost of their policies.

9. I was at brize last week (in a civvy capacity) and I can tell you now that there were no flights, and there is a huge amount of construction work going on there at the moment.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, is it not cool that given the backlog of inquest at Ox. coroner, the flights are going to Lyneham to reduce the pressure?

10. dunc,
    there is no way that the lads brought home should go through heathrow, this is a time for the families.

11. True, I did NOT mean it in a dis respectful way at all, and you are right it is time for the families, I was just trying to say that the general public do have a lot more respect and feeling for the fallen than they are given credit for

Duncan

12. Regarding the backlog of cases for the Oxfrod Coroner - he has a deputy who could deal with the more straightforward matters.

13. I saw a very moving photograph in the press (Telegraph I think) this morning of the hearses taking those five 2 PARA boys home driving through Wootton Basset. The townspeople going about their business then lined the route in what appeared to be a spontaneous gesture of respect. Good on them!

14. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

The front page picture in the Times this morning has the five coffins being carried off the plane. Very moving.

15. The runway work at RAF Brize Norton was carried out in 2005 and was finished some time ago. That is not the reason behind the transfer of the Repatriation flights.

As part of Prgramme CATARA*, there is a need to increase the amount of parking space for aircraft. Work on Brize Norton's aircraft "pan" (as it is referred to) began in Spring 07 and is likely to go on until at least 2009. It was felt that the amount of construction traffic and noise that was on-going at Brize would not be compatable with the Repatriation ceremonies - hence the decision to relocate those ceremonies to RAF Lyneham.

I've often heard runway work quoted as the reason for the move of the repatriation flights to RAF Lyneham but it is in fact the increase in the size of the ac pan at Brize Norton that lies behind the switch.

* CATARA is the programme that is overseeing the transformation of RAF Brize Norton into the RAF's Air Transport and Air to Air Refuelling Station. As part of CATARA, RAF Lyneham will close as an Air Command asset at the end of 2012).