RAF Armourer > REME Armourer Transfer

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Stoo, Jun 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello guys.

I'm after a bit of info really as to why on earth the REME would reject an application to transfer to the REME as an armourer, from a fully qualified Class 1 Equivalent RAF Armourer, when the Trade is 32% Undermanned at L/Cpl and CPL Class 1? (Source REME Journal 2011)

I'm currently 'overseas' doing a REME Class 1 Armourers job as a short notice stand in, and as I'm due out of the RAF after my 9yr contract expires in Jan 12, I thought I'd apply to transfer as the job is fairly similar and I am qualified. Yet records at glasgow have declined my application.

Exemplary conduct, excellent write ups etc etc.

It doesn't make any sense.

Any one able to shed any light?

Cheers
    Stoo

2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Errr cos the civi ***** in records dont have a Scooby on what you do, in the real world.

3. I see.

The generic response for rejection was 'No trainign places'
    Yet I am already qualified!

I have some top cover here in the form of a few Cols, Majors and Captains that are very keen to see this transfer happen, but I have to wait out.

I was just wondering if anyone knew a more in depth reasoning.

4. Fixed that for you! :)

Do you play much on small arms as a bombhead? Would you be better suited to Ammo Tech? I know the Armourer's desk do know what goes on in the big wild world of things that go bang - but there might be something in REME guidelines that doesn't recognise you bombheads as being worthy of playing with our toys.

Have you had a word with your two rather nice REME Armourers at 657 Sqn?

I shall see what the other armourers know on this matter and give ye a shout back if there's anything useful.

5. Hello CC. Funny you should mention 657, I am working for them at the moment, covering their sorry asses!!

As for small arms, (this isn't sarcasm by the way) yes. The RAF has guns too.
    I have spent the whole of my career at Odiham playing with 'guns'. From Small Arms to Miniguns and .50cal.
    As an RAF armourer, we can do the jobs of a multitude of trades in the Army.
    AAC Groundies (Flares, gun fits, ammo loads etc) Armourer, Ammo Tech/ATO/SATO, Bomb disposal, Aircraft Tech, Storeman.....

I REALLY do not want Ammo Tech. Armourer is my trade of experience, and as the trade is seriously under manned, I and many others find it bizarre!

6. It's probably because the Army has standards, unlike the RAF ;)

7. I ought to expect that type of response really....

However, working for the Army as an RAF Tradesman inside the Army, I beg to differ.
    I wouldn't neccessarily say it's better either way, just we both do things differently ;)

8. I'll see if anyone else knows the score but surely if you are already experienced you could be shoehorned on to the side of a course or given some exams to see if you were able to cuff it like the rest of us! :)

9. You would like to think so eh :)

I am just witing now to hear back from a few Cols out here that have pushed it for me.