RAF appoint first female 2*

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Shelldrake, Aug 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To take up post of Director of Projects and Programme Delivery at the Defence Infrastructure Organisation. She will lead the way in programming and delivering multi-million pound infrastructure projects to support military training, improve defence capability and oversee the draw down of Army units from Germany.
    Apparently.

2. To take up post of Director of Projects and Programme Delivery at the Defence Infrastructure Organisation. She will lead the way in programming and delivering multi-million pound infrastructure projects to support military training, improve defence capability and oversee the draw down of Army units from Germany.

That is all very well....but what does she actually DO?

Rodney2q

• Like Like x 1
  3. "2 Stars" so an Air Vice-Marshal then?

4. As it happened I worked for this Officer when I was an SO3 about 13 years ago. Very task-oriented, very emphatic and delivers results. Mind you, she has never stepped on to a building site during her whole career with DE/DIO/RAFIO.

5. Has the RAF version of MOD_RSS invaded this site too ?

6. So potentially another reason why procurement is so bad......and no, it's not because she's female, it's because she'll be in the post for 2 or 3 years at the most and any multi million pound project she starts, she won't see through to the end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. She is due to oversee the draw down of Army units from Germany,that will have a conclusion won't it?

8. Unless the bastards kick off again.

• Like Like x 3
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

And in the tradition of Adml Laurence, and god-only-knows how many Generals (see Private Eyes passim) she will then join a contractor and make a mint. From the Government/us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 34 yrs no op tours!

• Like Like x 7
  11. How long have women been allowed to do operational tours in combat areas. A bit harsh to blame her if for most of her career she was not allowed to deploy, I noticed that she started at 17 as an other rank.

12. At least as long back as NI in the 1980s (possibly 1970s).

She's missed out on (potentially) NI, Granby (Desert Shield/Storm), Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan and Iraq and they're just the bigger ops.

War dodgers shouldn't be allowed to be promoted past Corporal/Captain (depending where they start, obviously).

• Like Like x 7
  13. Does she need to have done any ops to drive a desk,which she must be good at?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Air Commodore Joan Hopkins was the first one star back in the 1980s, funny no-one seems to remember her, couldn't be that the media want to trot out the old 'sisters are doing it for themselves' v dinosaur armed forces story could it? (I accept it could be gash journalism which is just as poor)

Aunty Joan (RIP) wouldn't go for that crap, she got where she did because she as the best man for the job, I understand it's the same for the new bug. Her memory is still strong within the trade/branch, everyone who served with her found her a tough but compassionate boss that they would follow anywhere (she gave me 14 days jankers which I richly deserved)

• Like Like x 3
  15. She has done several overseas tours....Ramstein AFB, in the Black Forest, and Bruggen, but has been happy to stitch up others for challenging op tours. But she's done well for an ex-airwoman and is generally good to work for; well, at least was 13-14 years ago. She is a very political player.

She's not overseeing the drawn-down of BFG - she is overseeing the provision of accommodation for units withdrawn from Germany - not quite the same thing.