RAF Apache attacked

From the Dalai Mail

A lighting expert who has worked for the Queen has been arrested for shining an £8.45 torch at an RAF Apache helicopter gunship outside his home in the early hours.

Torben Merriott, 63, was woken by what felt and sounded like an ‘earthquake’ outside his bedroom window at 1am.

The grandfather used the torch to identify the aircraft.

He spotted one of two gunships on an exercise just ‘10ft above my garden’ at his farmhouse in Stradbroke near Eye, Suffolk, and called the Ministry of Defence complaint line.

But instead of receiving an apology for the September 18 disturbance, Mr Merriott was visited three weeks later by police, who arrested him on suspicion of endangering an aircraft by dazzling the pilot.
As ever, a faultless piece of reporting from the Dalai Mail. :roll:

oldbaldy

LE
RAF Apache?

There's a new one :roll:

Give him an ASBO for his disgraceful behaviour.
Oh hang on he was just shinning a torch at a low flying aircraft.
A new way for those infidels to bring down apache's!

They were probably more upset he had revealed that the RAF had Apaches :D

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
chocolate_frog said:
They were probably more upset he had revealed that the RAF had Apaches :D
And there was me thinking they were all Cowboys :D

In an evasive way his '£8.45' torch could have been one of those million candle power jobs; which if shone into the eyes of an Apache pilot, whether it had been stolen by an RAF Support Helicopter pilot (the only type of pilot they are signed up to be) or not, could do some serious damage.

I am never suprised by the inaccuracies of the media when it comes to defence issues. :roll:

I'm just laughing at the fact it took the Police three weeks to visit him....can you imagine the conversation between the Military and the Police.

Mil: "You go and arrest him."
Pol: "Don't you think this is abit pointless arresting a member of the public because he was investigating a noise around his property."
Mil: "No he dazzled our pilot."
Pol: "Why would that happen unless your pilot was flying low at 1am over a property and in which case the member of the public can get you on Noise Abatement."

But seriously though it was wrong of him to use a torch on the Apache who obviously needs to practise flying low at night.
...It gives all sorts of people all sorts of ideas.

Is there any particular reason that this Apache was hovering ten foot above the ground over his garden in the dead of in the first place? Is that common practice?

MsG

Bugsy said:
Is there any particular reason that this Apache was hovering ten foot above the ground over his garden in the dead of in the first place? Is that common practice?

MsG
Maybe they were they picking up a pre ordered Pizza and just got the wrong address ?? .. :wink:

Bugsy said:

MsG
They were trying to find out if he was a herbivore or an omnivore. :roll:

Bugsy said:

MsG
Because they can. :)

Can we assume that operating anywhere near a coastal lighthouse is out of bounds then?

maybe they were delivering the pizza. you know, making a little bit extra on the side when working. Imagine the giant dominoes sign on the underside

C

cloudbuster

ABrighter2006 said:
Bugsy said:

MsG
Because they can. :)

Can we assume that operating anywhere near a coastal lighthouse is out of bounds then?
Yes, because then you'll be getting too close to the littoral, treading on the WAFU's turf.

Not uncommon for someone out lamping to point it skywards when something big and rumbly clatters over.

Bearing in mind the Army approach was (and hopefully still is) to politely ignore flying complaints at the point where some crab flt sgt spanker from the low flying complaints cell rings the squadron and wants to know who/when/where/what etc, a similar noblesse oblige would normally apply the other way and the AH would typically just poke off if someone on the ground was waving a big torch.

This is very RAF behaviour from an Army aircraft...

10ft? I can only imagine they were slaving the 30mm on the garden gnomes.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Do any of the Royal birds live near by ?

I'd hate for him to live at number 35 and Chelsea to be sat in number 41 thinking HRH the Gwa promised me a fly by tonight

rockape34 said:
Torben Merriott, 63, was woken by what felt and sounded like an ‘earthquake’ outside his bedroom window at 1am.

The grandfather used the torch to identify the aircraft.
... he could reliably work out the height as he would have been staring the pilot in the eyes :roll:
surely at 10' above the ground it would be a air-quake :?
Hellfyyr, I think you're right, that is one of those million candlepower jobbies. In which case pointing at a hovering cab does sound like a bit of a dumb idea. We're all up in arms when a scrote points a laser pen at aircraft - what's the difference here?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MightyGem Aviation 26
E The Intelligence Cell 38
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 16