RAF and its sloganeering

Forastero

LE
I really, really don't understand the the RAF culture sometimes. I remember sometime ago seeing a piece in Defence Focus about Typhoons on ops and emblazoned across the nose of this thing was the phrase 'Celebrating 50 years of flight (or something very similiar)' which struck me as seriously odd given that a Typhoon is weapons platform designed to destroy things, not a pleasure aircraft used for jollies around the sky. Last week I was driving back from LWC through the plain when a couple of Chinooks hoofed it across the road and again, I saw something writ large on the rear rotor thingy which looked suspiciously like another bout of self-promotion. After firing up DII this morning, there's a piece on 12 Mech Bde going to Afghan with a nice picture of a Chinook doing what it does best. On closer inspection, it says something like Chinook 30 years, has Royal Air Force and something else which I can't quite make out but it's the very same thing I saw last week.

Now, I'm all for a bit of self-promotion but this is just bloody ridiculous. I could understand it if it was emblazoned across a commercial aircraft but why do the RAF insist on scribbling self-promoting slogans all over their equipment? Why don't the Army or the RN do it? **** me, the RN are good at this sort of thing but even they stop short of 'Celebrating 100 years of maritime activity' or somesuch. What about the Army? Shall we start scribbling over our light weapons or our Artillery?

This is a genuinely serious question, who makes the decision to scrawl stupid slogans over the RAF's aircraft and why?

Attachments

This is a genuinely serious question, who makes the decision to scrawl stupid slogans over the RAF's aircraft and why?

SO1 Polyester Promotion Policy?

Perhaps the army could have 'Challenger. F****ng things up from 5000 meters for 25 years' or 'Land Rover. Doing the pizza run since 1965'?

I remember sometime ago seeing a piece in Defence Focus about Typhoons on ops and emblazoned across the nose of this thing was the phrase 'Celebrating 50 years of flight (or something very similiar)' which struck me as seriously odd given that a Typhoon is weapons platform

Was it a Hawker-Siddeley Typhoon by any chance?

Perhaps the RAF should have their obviously under-employed sign writers added to Tranche 3?

I really, really don't understand the the RAF culture sometimes. I remember sometime ago seeing a piece in Defence Focus about Typhoons on ops and emblazoned across the nose of this thing was the phrase 'Celebrating 50 years of flight (or something very similiar)' which struck me as seriously odd given that a Typhoon is weapons platform designed to destroy things, not a pleasure aircraft used for jollies around the sky.
You know the bit where you said you don't understand RAF culture... you are indeed correct.

What about the Army? Shall we start scribbling over our light weapons or our Artillery?
We have a history of scribbling over our shells and what not :D

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
They have to remind people that they are the oldest Air Force in the world. Obviously the RFC and the FAA have been flying longer but hay.......

1909 First RN pilots of airships
1911 First RN Pilots qualified
1918 The experiment in the Air Force starts
2015 End of the Air Force experiment, in'shalla, and sanity restored with the Royal Naval Air Service re-forming.

Remember children the RAF was formed by the bad pilots in the RN and those that could eat properly from the Army being moved over. Its true I tell you.

I really, really don't understand the the RAF culture sometimes. I remember sometime ago seeing a piece in Defence Focus about Typhoons on ops and emblazoned across the nose of this thing was the phrase 'Celebrating 50 years of flight (or something very similiar)' which struck me as seriously odd given that a Typhoon is weapons platform designed to destroy things, not a pleasure aircraft used for jollies around the sky. Last week I was driving back from LWC through the plain when a couple of Chinooks hoofed it across the road and again, I saw something writ large on the rear rotor thingy which looked suspiciously like another bout of self-promotion. After firing up DII this morning, there's a piece on 12 Mech Bde going to Afghan with a nice picture of a Chinook doing what it does best. On closer inspection, it says something like Chinook 30 years, has Royal Air Force and something else which I can't quite make out but it's the very same thing I saw last week.

Now, I'm all for a bit of self-promotion but this is just bloody ridiculous. I could understand it if it was emblazoned across a commercial aircraft but why do the RAF insist on scribbling self-promoting slogans all over their equipment? Why don't the Army or the RN do it? **** me, the RN are good at this sort of thing but even they stop short of 'Celebrating 100 years of maritime activity' or somesuch. What about the Army? Shall we start scribbling over our light weapons or our Artillery?

It shows the basic mindset of many who profess to run the RAF.

It's a combination of a rather immature 'Hey look at us!' attitude from the junior service coupled with the fact that many do indeed see their career prospects as flying a pleasure aircraft with a gucchi logo plastered across it.

RN Officer > Drives warship > Moves to retirement or civilian desk job.

Army Officer > Drives Tank > Moves to retirement or civilian desk job.

RAF Officer > Drives plane > Moves to civilian job driving plane.

Forastero

LE
Can't see the whole text (far right fuselage) but this was on the front page of Defence Focus, taken in Libya.

Attachments

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mind you we do write ROYAL NAVY down the side of TLAM just in case one is lost or you get to know who delivered it

Attachments

Perhaps they need to remind themselves they are an air force?

............or are they just trying to catch up with the septics and all their badges, logos and coloured tails?........

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Remember children the RAF was formed by the bad pilots in the RN and those that could eat properly from the Army being moved over. Its true I tell you.
You're being unfair. They weren't bad pilots. They were just unpromotable Naval officers, who realised that they were never going to get to run the train set, so settled for a smaller, less prestigious train set instead

They should borrow some Virgin Air slogans from Richard Branson.

example: Why do they call us Virgin Trains? Because we always Pull out on time

Because we always Pull out on time may suit several Regiments such as the RAF Regiment and others.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 16
Good CO The Intelligence Cell 4
bullshit The Intelligence Cell 6