RAF airmen selected for GB bobsleigh squad

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by MoD_RSS, Nov 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Fighter pilots without planes perchance?

3. Does the sleigh have a gruesomely expensive concrete cannon in the nose?

4. How dare you- it is actually the new BAE tranche 'skint' Eurofrightener. It is fitted for wings not with wings. Ready to join the front line shortly.

That said good luck to all the Services personnel athletes.

5. Can't be. They're all Corporals & it would be foolish to let NCOs have the responsibility of flying things.

6. Fit young men with moustaches dressed in one piece body condoms pushing on a large red phallic shaped device…

Jarrod!!!!!!

7. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Tom De la Hunte used to be a crab and an exceptional Bob driver late eighties.

Nowt new in the RAF being Lycra gods

8. Blackadder was a good Bob driver I seem to remember !

9. Tom trained me in my brief & ignominious flirtation with sliding. All round good bloke.

10. Porridge_gun

We probably know each other :D

11. I did Ice Camp in Lillehammer in 2004, the one of “Black Thursday” when just about every Bob crashed on the first lauf. My main instructor was an RAMC SSgt named Rob & there was a huge gang of Paras who took part with full Airborne spirit.

I then went to the Novice championships at Igls & after a crash (I hit the Hammer & nearly took the Bob out of the track) the medic told me to man up & grow a pair. I'm still in need of periodic physio!

12. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Is Ro-Jo still hanging around this sport?

13. Porridge_gun

Ro Jo was my old OC, horrible bobsleigh driver but a huge weight behind those involved, don't think he's directly involved an more.

Capt Plume, I was 13 years before you when that SSGT Medic, Rob H was a Para Regt Lance Corporal.. And you aren't a bobsledder until you've had a decent crash, Horseshoe at St Moritz being my most spectacular and painful

Pete Gunn now coached the UK ladies team, they won the world championships last year.

14. My best crash, & I have footage of it, was at Vultures' Corner in Lillehammer. I managed to hit the woodwork at the top of the turn & in the video my entire torso is out of the Bob. Thank Christ I somehow managed to get back in, although I broke my brakeman in a big way & the lauf didn't count as although I did cross the line I left him & one of my trainers in the track.

Having ripped the visor off my helmet Nicola M lent me a pair of goggles. Never imagined I'd be involved in a sport where I would swap kit & advice with world class athletes!

Apart from the pain & fear this was one of the best non-warry things I did in the mob.

15. Porridge_gun

My intro to the sport was by Geoff Schuneman, awesome driver from the Stan Tout, Nick Phipps era. He was a pilot with our squadron, I had just returned from a three month biathlon beasting with Pete Gunn, he was trg Sgt in my squadron.

Geoff asked me if I could sprint, I lied and said yes. He asked if I could bench press, I lied and said yes. The following day, I was in Rojos Land rover, heading south for the Army 2 and 4 man championships in St Moritz. I'd only been in the sqn 4 months and hadn't yet worn a uniform.

Pete, being a beast, was invited the following season and the rest is history. Since then the sport in the Army has developed and grown, thanks to the likes of Sean Ollsen, Dean Ward, Pete Gunn and of course Rojo.

Its and awesome sport, and for those who haven't done it, its difficult to describe the noise, the speed and the sheer bliss when the bob stops on the braking straight.