• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

RAF 100 years old, well done and beers all round.

RAF Birthday Flypast, 10 July
East London and then over the Mall and Buckingham Palace
RAF Exhibition on Horseguards 6 - 9 July
Apologies for quoting my own post.
There was an unscheduled display of military aircraft in Guildhall Yard, London. Sadly, it was only on for three days and finishes at 1 pm today (Sunday 22 April).
However, the RAF's 100th Anniversary celebrations includes displays at the following venues:

RAF100 Aircraft Tour

SE5a

IMG_1417.jpg

Camel:

IMG_1418.jpg

Hurricane:

IMG_1419.jpg

Spitfire:

IMG_1420.jpg

A modern Typhoon was also exhibited but there were too many people milling around to get a decent pic.

There was an unscheduled display of military aircraft in Guildhall Yard, London. Sadly, it was only on for three days and finishes at 1 pm today (Sunday 22 April).
However, the RAF's 100th Anniversary celebrations includes displays at the following venues:

RAF100 Aircraft Tour

SE5a

View attachment 331828

Camel:

View attachment 331829

Hurricane:

View attachment 331830

Spitfire:

View attachment 331831

A modern Typhoon was also exhibited but there were too many people milling around to get a decent pic.
Is that the current front line strength of the RAF on display?

Slight tangent, but up till watching the London Marathon today, I was totally unaware of this bloke. He gets no mention within the RAF, at all.

Where are they now? STEVE JONES - Athletics Weekly

“An animal” - Training of Famous Runners, Steve Jones - Runner's Tribe

To be fair, his hour of glory was 25-30 yrs ago, but he's still the UK record holder for running a marathon, at 2:07:13. Well, till Mo Farah gets off the blocks today.

RAF100 Aircraft Tour

SE5a

View attachment 331828

Camel:

View attachment 331829

Hurricane:

View attachment 331830

Spitfire:

View attachment 331831

Intesting anotation on the SE5a

Attachments

Went to Horseguards this morning to have a look at the 100th Birthday display. Here are some of the pics I took.

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

The weather was a bit warm and the first beer afterwards didn't touch the sides...

Slight tangent, but up till watching the London Marathon today, I was totally unaware of this bloke. He gets no mention within the RAF, at all.

Where are they now? STEVE JONES - Athletics Weekly

“An animal” - Training of Famous Runners, Steve Jones - Runner's Tribe

To be fair, his hour of glory was 25-30 yrs ago, but he's still the UK record holder for running a marathon, at 2:07:13. Well, till Mo Farah gets off the blocks today.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/bravest-british-luvvies.264710/page-12#post-8012259

Didn't think it warranted a thread of its own so sticking it in here as it's sort of related to the RAF centenary.

New road in my local town has been named in honour of Trenchard, founder of the RAF, what with him being a local boy:-

NIDR to be renamed Trenchard Way

Signs went up the other day.

Anyone else see the BBC upto their usual revisionist tricks again.

Hamburg firestorm: 'A different level of devastation'
Grim but has to be understood in the context of the millions of humans that were tortured, enslaved, starved, poisoned, gassed and burnt dead or alive in ovens. Nazi Germany was intent on genocide. The BBC report manages to avoid setting the background and context to the bombing raids. The population of Greater London, even in the 1930's, was around 8 million. The Germans were escalating their capacity for mass destruction. The HE charges of V1 flying bombs and V2 rockets were just the start. Other payloads were being worked on, including nuclear. A supergun was in progress. BBC don't mention this critical aspect.