RADWIN ? - Looks like Ptarmigan to me !

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by IDONTNEEDAHAIRCUT, Sep 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I believe it's a library pic, the Bedford gives it away.

Anyone know where this thread is ???

I suspect RADWIN is just a set of radios, used to interconnect other systems. I'd guess these include DII(FD), I think the IS system is freely available on the web, it didn't mention the comms system. Hence I reckon it's RADWIN
  2. I really hope the WIN bit of RADWIN has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft Windows.
  3. Here it is...
  4. Cheers. So how long will Falcon last then?
  5. Don't know your location, but if you live in the South and travel by train, be afraid. The trains operated by Southern, South Eastern and FCC, have computer systems controlling them. These run mainly on Win95, with 4mb memory and do get the BSoD. 8O
  6. Radwin could be installed in the Ptarmigan RRs, though.

After all Bruin was in the RRs before Ptarmigan.

The installations are quite well maintained in some cases, and apart fromthe prime mover that is a bit... er, beyond its prime :D

RADWin probably has more to do with this though...

Than microsoft. Although, windows could be the OS.
  7. Yep thats the site. MOD artical is here http://www.radwin.com/Content.aspx?Page=press_releases&Id=286

Seems we've purchased part of an ICS system for a change, not the whole shebang. Guess this allows parts to be upgraded when they become obsolete and not the entire system. Have we had an outbreak of logic within the MOD?
  8. The article seems to have been investigated by a halfwit who only knows a tiny bit of the story. The system is up and running in various places on ops, delivering what it is supposed to deliver - it certainly was a few hours ago and don't think they would have sent it all back to blighty on a Friday night.
  9. Surely this RADWIN thingy is just a permanent solution for replacing mobile comms, whats the point of having Cormorant in situ on a permanant base ? It would be like using it to communicate between York and Catterick everyday instead of using landline. You cant really have landline in Afganistan etc so they bung in RADWIN as a solution, Cormorant / Falcon etc goes off on its little mobile wheels and provides the battlegroup with a mobile comms solution.

It also frees up manpower and resource