Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio Procedures

Hi,

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong topic category. Didn’t know where would be the most relevant place to ask.

Anyway.

I’m a bit of a writer, not the best and at the moment it’s only a small group of friends that I’m sharing it with, but it’s a story I’ve had for a while since before I decided to not get into the game design industry.

What I’d like to ask is whether anyone could help me with our radio procedures and callsigns. Years ago I was in the ACF and I did pass my Radio User Course, however since it’s been a hell of a long time it’s all pretty much vague and general memories of “Lima One One Charlie” and how to actually operate the radio set itself rather than communicating over it.

Just any help regarding how we refer to sections and fireteams, how you’d communicate with friendly supporting aircraft... general stuff like that so I’m not just writing Hollywood-level crap that would piss off anyone who actually has proper military experience.

Thanks.

ugly

LE
I'm out of date but I did make the transition to Charlie and delta for fire teams and 0A instead of 9.
Both work, it just depends upon your period. I have noticed we do seem to have a lot of the cousins preferred lingo in our comms on ops. Mind you some of them have gone full on yeehaw so we aren't too bad.

Get thee behind me Satan! thou art offering temptation, I cannot spend the next three weeks coaching you on the contents of PAM 5; out.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm out of date but I did make the transition to Charlie and delta for fire teams and 0A instead of 9.
Both work, it just depends upon your period.
1 July 1982 Voice Procedure was changed from 9 to 0A, etc. Same day a DCI introduced midnight. Five weeks before I transferred out of 15/19H.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Avoid the American over and out we never use it
Officers start the transmission with Uhh. others do not !
t
"Over" and "Out" were also ours into the 80s (but not "over and out"). I know our VP as portrayed in things like B20, Bluestone 42 etc sounds a world different from my bread and butter as a 1970s Control Signaller.

Who needs VP when you have . . .

"Hello One, this is another One. Are you One too, over"
---------
"Move over to the Rover, over".
---------
"I'm not a happy bear"

"I'm not a happy bear either"

"Neither am I"

"All stations are to observe correct radio procedures"

"He's not a happy bear"

I wonder if the OP used to be Scazza and is a very slow writer?

Whoops, didn’t realise someone before had already asked a similar question. I’ve been skimming Google for a while but nothing relevant to Brit radio came up. At best it was US, if not then it was WWII era radio which I’d imagine is way too out of date when the setting is early 2016.

Learn Navaho:

Hi,

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong topic category. Didn’t know where would be the most relevant place to ask.

Anyway.

I’m a bit of a writer, not the best and at the moment it’s only a small group of friends that I’m sharing it with, but it’s a story I’ve had for a while since before I decided to not get into the game design industry.

What I’d like to ask is whether anyone could help me with our radio procedures and callsigns. Years ago I was in the ACF and I did pass my Radio User Course, however since it’s been a hell of a long time it’s all pretty much vague and general memories of “Lima One One Charlie” and how to actually operate the radio set itself rather than communicating over it.

Just any help regarding how we refer to sections and fireteams, how you’d communicate with friendly supporting aircraft... general stuff like that so I’m not just writing Hollywood-level crap that would piss off anyone who actually has proper military experience.

Thanks.

"Broad Sword calling Danny Boy", that's all you need to know.

You could use collective call signs for a group of call signs instead of sending the messages individually as in 'Charlie Charlie 1 this is 0 move to freq xyz...' then always followed by out to avoid every call sign in the gp replying and waking the evil russkie ewops up. Oh and use 'roger so far' a lot if an officer, or their other favourite 'my fox hounds are loose.' I never worked if his dogs had got out or had the shits but then I was just the operator.

Latest Threads