Radio Operators Shorthand

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by CaptainPlume, Jan 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All-

Currently trying to teach civvies HF radio amongst other things while working for a charity in Central America (and the next time I hear a trainee Op saying "Repeat... Roger that over and out" I'll strangle him with the pressel unit cable).

I also have to do the odd radio stag and that reminded me of the shorthand printed in the issue Radio Ops' log books in the mob.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what the abbreviations are? I seem to remember dashes and slashes for Over and Out but can't remember the rest.

Cheers

Captain Plume

PS msr - you may be able to help. You'll know I'm not a Walt or Wanabe as you know me from Abingdon a long time back and Chilwell recently.

2. Ask an ex RSigs officer about comms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DE this is

+ Out

K Over

H Hello

AS All stations

R Roger

W wait

3. QRM-I am being interfered with (I always remember that one)

There are fecking loads of them-best thing to do is google 'Q Codes' and 'Z Codes'. That should keep you occupied.

4. Thanks, chaps. I think Q codes would make their heads explode. Just wanted something to speed up my logging...

5. msr

msr LE

And you should know that I have soldiers to do that sort of thing ;)

msr

6. Look at my signature!

Z Codes

Q Codes

7. QFW Quit Fcukin Woffling :numberone:

8. msr-

How do you know that they're not writing "Mr/Capt msr (sorry-did you get promoted?!?) is a tawt of the highest order" if you don't know the code?

Cheers

Plume

9. Change the All Stations to CQ
    Change Wait to AS (barred)
    DE This is

Far better and makes you look like you also know some monkey code

10. msr

msr LE

They probably are ;)

msr

11. Whenever I use any of the cheeky ones such as CQ, AS, AR etc I get asked to translate so my Jedi skills are beginning to fade a little. Still its better than the "txt spk" I find in sprogs logs now!!

12. I've still got "Signals Communications in the Army" Pamphlet 4 "Radio Telegraphist Procedure". Sad I know but I just can't throw it away.

13. :D

Good signature!

14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Did any of the old and bold also get taught how to write shorthand style? I found recently a manual on character drafting to allow faster writing, and recalled some dodgy old scrot at 8 pigs challenging us to talk faster than he could write?