Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Radio Control Modelling....planes cars and boats... time to finally admit you never grew up

Mate bought a mini r/c helicopter. BOGOF deal, about three years ago, wasn't impressed so he gave me one, still in box, unopened. Had a play yesterday. Set of AA's in transmitter, poor connections, ponce about, OK. Charge Li-Po in helo, coo!. Whizzy whizzy. No take off. Bugger. Am I right in assuming the Li-Po's past it's sell by date? I can get one for a fiver or so, or is it not worth messing with? Oh, and on "full" chat, it sits on the floor going in circles. Rudder trim wheel doesn't cure it completely, is there any adjustment inside the handset? It's IR, not R/C.

Li-po's don't tend to self discharge too much. But if it's years old maybe it's gone below its minimum safe charge. The sure fired way to ruin one is to use it until it's hot and puffs up.
The trim wheel is all you get. In the air it might be less pronounced. One for the heli guys really.

Li-po's don't tend to self discharge too much. But if it's years old maybe it's gone below its minimum safe charge. The sure fired way to ruin one is to use it until it's hot and puffs up.
The trim wheel is all you get. In the air it might be less pronounced. One for the heli guys really.
are you charging it through the cable on the transmitter , if you are , try using a lead onto your pc or laptop

is it one like this
IMG_20181011_220600.jpg

Ackshurely, that was my question mate. I charged it through the transmitter. I've just switched the heli on, all the lights are flashing, I'll let the battery run right down, then try charging through the lappy, see if that works.
I believe Li -Po's have a charging memory, no?

Ackshurely, that was my question mate. I charged it through the transmitter. I've just switched the heli on, all the lights are flashing, I'll let the battery run right down, then try charging through the lappy, see if that works.
I believe Li -Po's have a charging memory, no?
fairly sure the circuitry in these little helis is a bit wire, a bit silicon and a whole lot of magic... fairly sure that the circuit cuts the battery before it reaches damage point, ( you can get new batteries on ebay btw) maybe if the transmitter has a channel switch ABorC , switch off the heli , change the channel switch it on again and allow it to seek and syncro with the tranny ... worth giving it a shot, what's to lose

you are right about lipo cells though if they get too low they are F...edtake off the cowl/cockpit and as halftrack said , check if they are puffed up out of shape... it's nicads you can totally drain , using a resistor (light bulb) and train to take a charge by recycling them ...that is charging and discharging them , not throwing them in the recycling bin;)

Post a pic. For foam I use POR which is a contact adhesive, epoxy, or foam friendly Cyano depending on the application. DO NOT USE ORDINARY CYANO! Otherwise you will see your plane dissolving before your eyes. If you do make this rookie error (yep I did) hit it with foam friendly kicker asap to limit the damage.

@flieslikeabeagle, poked it and prodded it, took bits off, put 'em back on. Won't beat gravity. Ah well, it was a freeby. Deep six it I think.
BTW, I like silicon, wire and magic.
if the heli isn't rising , it wont be getting enough revs to the rotors, have you checked out if there is maybe a slightly bent outer or inner shaft to the head preventing max revs , maybe remove the blades and run it see if there is some sort of drag on the shafts ,and spray a bit of silicon lube down them
they are little buggers when they go wrong, I have a dicky switch on a transmitter that switches it of when the heli is flying ... they do bounce quite well... I have had a few over the years , even had a Chinook which is still in a box somewhere , needing new blades and a new stabilised receiver , it was expensive and really only flew well inside , but was fun, also had a tiny one , and a few little 3 channel jobs which my grandkids all loved when I was showing them how to fly them ... good little one though is my current 4 channel IR controlled Syma S800
ps they also don't like flying in bright sunlight as it affects the IR control

69133.jpg