Radio Control Modelling....planes cars and boats... time to finally admit you never grew up

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I've got the Trumpeter 34/85 and it's a nice model. I expect if HL do one it's a RIP-off of theirs, so should be good too. The Pershing is one of my favourites. They can be pimped up with better controllers and sound effects if you want to.
Just received the 1/16 tanks. The T34 is fairly basic and is powered by half a dozen AA batteries, no idea of manufacturer - I think it may be going on the Bay of Fleas. The Pershing is much more substantial with metal sprockets, big battery and smoke, BB gun etc. No controller though - do you just buy one off the net? Are they different between makes/models?

He is a very skilled modeller and tradesman, we both get it from Dad, we grew up watching him turn his hand to many varied jobs , he was commissioned in the RASC, during the war , he had served an apprenticeship in the docks in Greenock early thirties, as a reserve officer after the war he was like myself a member of HMs finest Corps of fixers and bodgers , brother was by trade a ship electrician , trained at HM dockyard (as it was )Rosyth
Dad build the local garage and filling station , and to his credit , it is still standing and open , with very little change to when he built it , it even still has the asbestos roof
during the sixties, when my pals were getting lego , he bought me shed loads of the airfix equivalent " Betta Builder, because the plastic bricks were actually scale , he designed the new house and the shop with my toy, it was a joy to see what he had created almost every morning, so he could see what the solid model of the plans he was drawing actually looked like , he was a lovely skilled man , with a wicket sense of humour, I remember when I was about 12 him and my brother letting me use the oxy/ acetylene welder and they stood pissing themselves when I welded the acetylene hose, running about like a headless chicken holding the flaming hose screaming like a little girl , and he strolled over and turned the key off(the hose was needing changed anyway) . He taught us both how to mix cement and lay bricks, Brother retired a couple of years ago because of his health, and he and his son had a property management and building company , and he built and raced side cars , although never actually winning any races , although his sons and grandson now race bikes and sidecars, grandson scottish junior champ couple of years ago

anyway , back to his scammell, he's just finished the wood on the storage boxes and primed them

View attachment 517670View attachment 517671
That is looking the mutts, what is it made of?

Just received the 1/16 tanks. The T34 is fairly basic and is powered by half a dozen AA batteries, no idea of manufacturer - I think it may be going on the Bay of Fleas. The Pershing is much more substantial with metal sprockets, big battery and smoke, BB gun etc. No controller though - do you just buy one off the net? Are they different between makes/models?
Depends how old the tank is as to which RC controller you need. Assuming its 27Mhz rather than the newer 2.4Ghz there are two types. The early 27 ones had crystals to control frequency as you can see in the first pic, lower RH corner. The later had a switch you set to A, B or C, second pic. Take the battery cover off the tank to see if you can determine which type you need.
20201106_132111.jpg

20201106_132130.jpg

Before you buy a new RC transmitter for your tank it will well be worth putting a post on the RC tank warfare site. The folks on there generally junk the original setup for better gear.

I have , I think , taken a stupid step into the dark side , and ordered a drone , it seemed too good to be true , hey ho in for a penny etc , looked like a bargain at £64 free postage , and paid by paypal (so if it doesn't arrive no real problems) , worth a gamble
And it is due to arrive tomorrow

Except , according to the latest FAI/CAA / BMFA it's going ro be illegal to fly the fecking thing since the 1st January
( I am investigating ways round it though , It may be exempt for a year as a legacy drone or something like that

anyway , worth a punt

I wouldn’t worry too much about the legality just don’t be a dick.

Anywhere slightly quiet, playing fields quiet park, no one is going to call the police, don’t fly it too high, near airports / helicopters and don’t fly it in your neighbors gardens.

By the time you have had your fun and the battery is dead you be home if anyone called the police and they bothered to respond.

Just treat it like you would like, if you see someone walking their dogs or kids keep away and don’t invade their space.

I have , I think , taken a stupid step into the dark side , and ordered a drone , it seemed too good to be true , hey ho in for a penny etc , looked like a bargain at £64 free postage , and paid by paypal (so if it doesn't arrive no real problems) , worth a gamble
And it is due to arrive tomorrow

Except , according to the latest FAI/CAA / BMFA it's going ro be illegal to fly the fecking thing since the 1st January
( I am investigating ways round it though , It may be exempt for a year as a legacy drone or something like that

anyway , worth a punt

My brother did the same. Bought a larger drone before Christmas only to discover it wasn't exempt. Went on an on-line course and now he is legally ok to fly as I'm lead to believe.

Drone arrived , except, as expected it wasn't the one advertised , what can one say , at least it was red as ordered
It should have rung some bells but you have to take a chance now and then
here are a list of what was and wasn't
Battery should have been 2s2200 mah it was 1s180mah
it was supposed to have been waterproof ...ther were holes all overthe undersideof the body ansd the electrics were all exposed
It was supposed to have a TX with a holder for a phone ... it was a games controller(and a cheap nasty one at that)
It was supposed to weigh in at 3 1/2 pounds , it weighs about 4 ounces
and the list goes on
first thing done , report all the above to paypal asking for them to give me my cash back , and send return forms so I am not out of pocket.... done , so far the process has been quite fast , seems that paypal don't like it when false advertising is involved

did I mention the 4 brushless motors , that were very small chep coreless motors

If it is like the folding seat my daughter ordered for my birthday, (for taking in the camper) that arrived as a folding footstool , I may just have a very nice lightweight toy drone to play with inside,

Drone arrived , except, as expected it wasn't the one advertised , what can one say , at least it was red as ordered
it was supposed to have been waterproof ...ther were holes all overthe undersideof the body ansd the electrics were all exposed
It was supposed to have a TX with a holder for a phone ... it was a games controller(and a cheap nasty one at that)
and the list goes on
first thing done , report all the above to paypal asking for them to give me my cash back , and send return forms so I am not out of pocket.... done , so far the process has been quite fast , seems that paypal don't like it when false advertising is involved

did I mention the 4 brushless motors , that were very small chep coreless motors

If it is like the folding seat my daughter ordered for my birthday, (for taking in the camper) that arrived as a folding footstool , I may just have a very nice lightweight toy drone to play with inside,
I've got a DJI P4P if you'd like it.

To you a very reasonable £800 :)

and the list goes on

Did you buy it off Facebook? There are one hell of a lot of scams on there.

oh yes , don't think that they expected to get their callective arse ripped from me and Paypal

what was advertised

1611260118553.png

what arrived

dronecon 1.jpg

no real excuse should have noticed it was the chap from flitetest in the video

I've reported so many RC scams to Facebook but they are pathetic. All that happens is that another pops up as soon as they take the old one down, and they try to stop me from seeing the fresh ones by using their algorithms.

Paypal yesterday rejected my reclaim for money back and a return voucher, or cost of returning the drone

Quick call to the resolution centre and discovered the statement I'd emailed hadn't arrived so they rejected it

re- emailed it and it arrived , and looks like I may get back the cash after all

I am now daily searching FB , and where ever those adverts appear I am placeing short comments such as "caveat emptor", or "ask the vendor why you can't post any pictures" or "don't be surprised if what arrives isn't what you ordered"

wont make much difference , but at least I feel I am doing something,....... Thieving cvnts

Yes, this one is doing the rounds too.

Screenshot_20210207-224759_Facebook.jpg

I'm reporting these as the retail price over here is around £320. Looking at the real model it does look a mighty fine Jeep.

and a full return from Paypal case closed

might play with my toy drone this evening

Lost an hour yesterday evening , small room,no real ventilation , applying dope to the now litespan covered KK Invader

now I remember why I was so interested in this hobby when I was younger

Some folkes have been having fun weathering their jeeps! Tempted to get one.
FB_IMG_1614465557723.jpg
FB_IMG_1614465598168.jpg

Latest Threads