Radio Control Modelling....planes cars and boats... time to finally admit you never grew up

A few weeks ago , my Grandson Jake says" now we've crashed the "Frankenplane , will you build another for us to fly? ( that old Beaver with the crappy depron wings was never destined to fly , and it piled in first flight as expected)
"I'll have a look in the plan box son , and see what I can find"

2003 E powered Skylark plans from Cyril Carr, It was one of my early forays into electrics made from 1/32ply sides , and balsa solartex covered wings a380 brushed motor with a rondo ESC soldered to the rear pins , with a gunther type prop. except I had no 1/32 ply so used 1/16th, it was a bit heavy but flew it did quite well,

skylark400x286.jpg

Anyway, no ply these days so lets have a look in the box mmmmm 6mm Depron the fuse should be a box 25mm wide front to rear , but add the depron and it turns out 36mm , It'll do
anyhoo , plane basically sorted now , just made the dihedral tips and have them to join and it's almost ready to go...control wires to instal and of course the wingtips this one has a blue wonder 1200 brushless , and 9 gram servos ,
skylark1.jpg

so far the all up weight , less the tips rx and wires is a very heavy 8ounces, which with the massive span of 36 inches gives at present 4 oz / sq ft
After a bit of trial and error , i finally managed to perfect bending the leading edge of the wing to build a separate "D" box section , with a decent rounded leading edge , used a bead of clear gorilla glue along the formed groove when it dried it turned out to be very strong. problem is , now I have perfected this, it is time to make the fourth wing for the goliath, maybe I can get it just right this time

Beagle

(ps , that isn't my Skylark it is from the RCME item, mine has been dead a long time)

The two pushers that I have had both had a tendency to go into a power dive from which it was difficult to recover from. They just dipped their noses and went straight down. One piled in, but saved the other. They had different TX and Rx and I even changed the radio gear on one, but it still did it. All on 2.4G. Never got to the reason why they did it.

The two pushers that I have had both had a tendency to go into a power dive from which it was difficult to recover from. They just dipped their noses and went straight down. One piled in, but saved the other. They had different TX and Rx and I even changed the radio gear on one, but it still did it. All on 2.4G. Never got to the reason why they did it.
The motor is tilted 5 degrees upwards a title side thrust, hopefully it should prevent this
I built the sam!e plane before flew ok but glided like a brick, and was a lot heavier

It will probably end it's days in a snowstorm of depron anyway

Last edited:

Hairy-boab

Clanker
Can anyone recommend an entry point for RC flying? I'm interested in doing something with the kids (8-10). I'm probably happy to spent £150 or so. Any e.g. recommended starter kits? Worth joining a club?

Can anyone recommend an entry point for RC flying? I'm interested in doing something with the kids (8-10). I'm probably happy to spent £150 or so. Any e.g. recommended starter kits? Worth joining a club?
It's been many a year since I was a club member. Not sure how Covid has affected their activities, depends which zone they are in I suppose. Clubs are a great way to learn to fly, but it is do-able on your own, depending if you have an area to fly.

The rules changed recently and you are supposed to register your model if its above a certain size. Mr Beagle will be able to tell you more about that.

A high wing pusher type like the Bixler from Hobby King makes a good trainer,. Electric so simple to set up and quiet too. Being foam you can stick it together when it crashes. Just remember to pick up all the bits!

It's been many a year since I was a club member. Not sure how Covid has affected their activities, depends which zone they are in I suppose. Clubs are a great way to learn to fly, but it is do-able on your own, depending if you have an area to fly.

The rules changed recently and you are supposed to register your model if its above a certain size. Mr Beagle will be able to tell you more about that.

A high wing pusher type like the Bixler from Hobby King makes a good trainer,. Electric so simple to set up and quiet too. Being foam you can stick it together when it crashes. Just remember to pick up all the bits!
500 grams, if it is over that you need to CAA register ( fecking ridiculous IMHO) costs £9 a year. I got a email reminder this morning, expiires 6/11/20
Remember to use foam safe glue to rebuild

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Just picked up a Heng Long T34/85 and Pershing in 1/16 for £20 at an auction. Be interested to see if they work when they turn up!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I have the PzIII.
If the T34 doesn't work and you dont want it I'll be happy with it as a static...
I don’t even know if there is the RC control gubbins included, but I’m sure you can pick it up on EBay?

They chucked in a smaller CR2 as well...

Just picked up a Heng Long T34/85 and Pershing in 1/16 for £20 at an auction. Be interested to see if they work when they turn up!
I've got the Trumpeter 34/85 and it's a nice model. I expect if HL do one it's a RIP-off of theirs, so should be good too. The Pershing is one of my favourites. They can be pimped up with better controllers and sound effects if you want to.

I am well pleased with Jakes plane , total weight , balanced slight nose dow on exact cof g and with a 3s 800 lipo , 12 oz ready to go ,alas, no grandkid here , weather pissing down windy and getting dark
bit of advice needed , wingspan 40" chord 6" =240"sq, all up weight 12 0z therefore about 2.2 oz /sq ft?

someone confirm that please I don't think I am wrong but I don't think I ever built a plane that light anyway 350 ish grams so he doesn't need FAA approval

anyway here's the finished thing less a small piece of windshield
skylark rtf.jpg

Cant see much wrong with the maths, just watch out for thermals in the summer, as she might not come down! :)
That's a fine looking model.

No sooner is one finished than the next model is in for repair (She is starting to regret nagging me to go up the loft, every time I bring down a load of broken stuff for fixing and getting flying again

glider.jpg

this was bought late nineties , originally from the states 63 inch span two channel, hand launch / mini bungee, but it has also has had a 400 brushed motor in the nose with a folding prop anyway , both the wingtips were broken off and the v tail was replaced with a normal horizontal/ rudder, and the fuselage had been split and re glassed. the wing is very thin , blue foam skinned with very thin glass sheet, she was very pretty, and very light when new, should be a decent flyer again when it gets repaired
So far I have filled the end of the wing centre , inserted ply dihedral braces , really pleased with the tail each side made from a sandwich of hard 1mm balsa with a live hinge along each of the rudder blades glued together with epoxy between two sheets of glass. they are rock hard lght and dead straight
So far a few pleasant, interesting evenings work and going back together fairly easy, and the tips are now much stronger than the butt jointed dihedral tips ever were

enough of this jibber jabber, back on my head!

I just received these photo from my olderbrother , he's shielding still because of his cancer , and seems to have gone full tilt building and finishing off stuff he's had on the go for years, but he has taken a break from his boats and started on the Scammell

I was pretty impressed , told him he actually needed a kings crown REME badge on the radiator grill then noticed it was actually a tank transporter, nor recovery and had ballast ahead of the grills anyway , couple of his photos , he has now finished off the Waverley (again) and the Oil rig Support vessel ids coming along nicely , I really must make a socially distanced visit soon
scammell tt.jpg

scammelltt1.jpg
View attachment 517034View attachment 517034View attachment 517034
waverley finished.jpg
waverley finished.jpg
waverley finished.jpg
ORSS.jpg

he's very pragmatic, He says the building is helping him through what time he has left

That's some skill there. What scale is the Scammell?

That's some skill there. What scale is the Scammell?
I received this on messenger

1/16 upsized from a 1/35th kit. everything measured and multiplied by 2.187, also used book Army Wheels

been planking boxes at rear and fitting hinges handles to come later
scamm.jpg

scamm1.jpg

Wow, so not only scratch built but RC too! That's damn cool!

He is a very skilled modeller and tradesman, we both get it from Dad, we grew up watching him turn his hand to many varied jobs , he was commissioned in the RASC, during the war , he had served an apprenticeship in the docks in Greenock early thirties, as a reserve officer after the war he was like myself a member of HMs finest Corps of fixers and bodgers , brother was by trade a ship electrician , trained at HM dockyard (as it was )Rosyth
Dad build the local garage and filling station , and to his credit , it is still standing and open , with very little change to when he built it , it even still has the asbestos roof
during the sixties, when my pals were getting lego , he bought me shed loads of the airfix equivalent " Betta Builder, because the plastic bricks were actually scale , he designed the new house and the shop with my toy, it was a joy to see what he had created almost every morning, so he could see what the solid model of the plans he was drawing actually looked like , he was a lovely skilled man , with a wicket sense of humour, I remember when I was about 12 him and my brother letting me use the oxy/ acetylene welder and they stood pissing themselves when I welded the acetylene hose, running about like a headless chicken holding the flaming hose screaming like a little girl , and he strolled over and turned the key off(the hose was needing changed anyway) . He taught us both how to mix cement and lay bricks, Brother retired a couple of years ago because of his health, and he and his son had a property management and building company , and he built and raced side cars , although never actually winning any races , although his sons and grandson now race bikes and sidecars, grandson scottish junior champ couple of years ago

anyway , back to his scammell, he's just finished the wood on the storage boxes and primed them

scamm2.jpg
scamm3.jpg

Latest Threads