Radio Control Modelling....planes cars and boats... time to finally admit you never grew up

a box arrived here today from PR China, to be honest, just over a fortnight not bad delivery time
cargotrans3.jpg

well packaged no damage

inside
cargotrans6.jpg

no damage , minor flaws, the key of the tailplane to the main fuse is a little too big , better to be too large than too small... the material was a surprise , being EPO and not EPS like the first one , the instructions were the GWS build booklet with all reference to GWS removed, the nacelles are now moulded plastic , and the plastic fittings for the wings are laser cut ply , all components seem to be present and fairly square

a quick assembly to check out the size/fit all looks ok
cargotrans5.jpg

might need a lot more sellotape to hold it together though

first impressions .... not bad at all not to the same packing standards of the original GWS kit with lovely fitted strong cardboard , other than that much the same as the original... the yank transfers are out though and maybe an iron cross on the tail, light coat of acrylic grey primer when it is assembled , still have two motors from the Lanc, and had a pack of contra 4 blade 5 inch drone props delivered yesterday, just about ready to start, when I finally get the shithole that is my building room cleaned

started off ok this afternoon , first mod of the kit went well, dual nose wheels instead of the single wheel in the kit, a bit pedantic , but you ever see a herc or a transall with a single nose wheel
wheels.jpg

the one on the right is just wrong.
then things started to go a bit wrong, the two motors I have from the Lanc are front mounted and not changeable so two new motors now on the way from China , along with 4 ESCs as I only had one spare , then the wheel collets all need replaced as they are shite quality

oh well , maybe a better building day tomorrow

RigPig

War Hero
Update on the Merc G Wagon. Long build time but I’ve only been doing a small bit each night. I have also changed shifts at work and now don’t get to sit down till gone 20:00 each night, so I’ve done very little recently.

The build is completed and looks quite tidy. He body is cut out and sprayed, with some of the decals fitted, but not many. This is the slowest part, cutting out each sticker to fit. One of the trim lines is a bit wonky but it’s on and staying. I will keep plodding on.

The thing is fast and I’m a crap driver. I wonder how long it’ll last. Still I can always shorten the chassis and try and fit a Defender 90 body shell.

RP.

7307BC0F-8773-4254-853A-5237968F74EF.jpeg
6D2986D1-1946-4EAD-BEDD-8EAC39443012.jpeg

Last edited:
cargotrans 7.jpg
cargotrans8.jpg

Progress so far, Just the wings to join and reinforce, the motors (when they and the ESCs arrive) to mount onto the nacelles and the get the nacelles themselves mounted , a light dust of grey primer
I have an ORX gyro reciever which I am a bit wary of fitting , as it caused a bad crash on the islander , as the rudder was reversed and when it started going right , it didn't stop going right, right into the ground, maybe a bit more careful setting it up this time
the plane has been an enjoyable, easy build so far a little bit of brain to be used to fit the batteries and make up the tray , which eventually was made from a 10mm thick piece of pink building foam, reinforced with some 3 mm balsa , and McDonalds coffee sticks pretty strong and next to no weight
EPO foam , unlike the old GWS polystyrene one, so it may bounce a bit more, it is actually the GWS model even the instruction booklet has the odd pic of e.g. the GWS receiver and their glue. not bad actually for £35 (I was selling them for £62 five years ago , but they did have the motors and props etc) before postage, if it flies as well as the GWS C130 s it will be a wee belter

You guys are obviously having too much fun with your RC goodies! I've done nothing RC this year so far. Been building up my cycling mileage until a Badger put me in hospital (you read that right!). Fcuked up my rotator cuff big time. Need to dust down a model and get flying again!

Now wired up, got the ESCs to mount under the wind centre, cut a battery hatch out the top of the fuselage, test run the motors on the model ( the props are 5 inch drone props and are giving a decent amount of thrust , not yet checked , but scream like an EDF fans ) then time to get the spay can out
C160.1.jpg
C160.2.jpg

The plane and those props look great! The magazine? Not so much, where's RCM&E! :D

The plane and those props look great! The magazine? Not so much, where's RCM&E! :D
modelflyer (RCM&E) on line , mate only down side , no pile of well thumbed model mags in the downstairs bog, to thumb through when having a dump

sticker time, anyone got an image of modern day luftwaffe cross, about 30mm and in dark grey for the sides, and a kraut flag for the tail.... (or I could just add the odd swastika, )

other than that , a light dust of halfords primer , I went looking for humbrol mat black for the nose , ended up with a matt black sampler from Homebase thinks to myself , " why am I getting so fussy it's a 35 quid foamy total cost in bits kit £35 two motors £8 two ESCs £6 can of spray £6, lipo from the box total , about £55 all in ready to fly" (servos and receiver from the box as well) plus !15 postage.

scale model..... well if you stand well back , and squint a bit

transal.jpg

sticker time, anyone got an image of modern day luftwaffe cross, about 30mm and in dark grey for the sides, and a kraut flag for the tail.... (or I could just add the odd swastika, )

other than that , a light dust of halfords primer , I went looking for humbrol mat black for the nose , ended up with a matt black sampler from Homebase thinks to myself , " why am I getting so fussy it's a 35 quid foamy total cost in bits kit £35 two motors £8 two ESCs £6 can of spray £6, lipo from the box total , about £55 all in ready to fly" (servos and receiver from the box as well) plus !15 postage.

scale model..... well if you stand well back , and squint a bit

View attachment 500470
It doesn't seem to matter how much they cost, I get attached to the bloody things and try to keep them looking good. It hurts when they crash!

Yours is looking the dogs dodahs, happy maiden flight, not sure my eyes would be up to seeing a grey model though!

couple of weeks before I can get out with i though, we're in lock down again , she's got an op on the 9th so under orders to self isolate, I get to go for shopping , she doesn't even get to go for a walk , and she's getting cabin fever and is glad to see the back of me in my workroom every day, so not all bad news

hadn't given the grey model and grey skies bit much thought though, actually it should be like the C130 (it's still raw polystyrene) , when it gets to about 200feet it is just a shape you're driving anyway

2 cargotrans.jpg

quick heads up , best not use halfords primer on basic Polystyrene , it gets a surface somewhat like antique knobbly leather ...TBH it looks better than it has since I built it back in 2003,
now , the goliath is almost brown paper covered , and although not much difference in weight, but much tougher skin on the 3 mm depron wing surfaces, and the fuselage
her being in lockdown is turning out to be a bit of a godsend for me getting all the scrap planes sorted out , be a bit of a shame next Wednesday after she's had the op and out of self isolation( no it won't really , but it has given a lot of time without being asked to drive to the supermarket, or get the van ready for an excursion)
anyway , that's the Cargotrans almost complete and ready to maiden, have taxi tested it on the road outside the house , it has loads of power, and steers really well on the ground

View attachment 501692

quick heads up , best not use halfords primer on basic Polystyrene , it gets a surface somewhat like antique knobbly leather ...TBH it looks better than it has since I built it back in 2003,
now , the goliath is almost brown paper covered , and although not much difference in weight, but much tougher skin on the 3 mm depron wing surfaces, and the fuselage
her being in lockdown is turning out to be a bit of a godsend for me getting all the scrap planes sorted out , be a bit of a shame next Wednesday after she's had the op and out of self isolation( no it won't really , but it has given a lot of time without being asked to drive to the supermarket, or get the van ready for an excursion)
anyway , that's the Cargotrans almost complete and ready to maiden, have taxi tested it on the road outside the house , it has loads of power, and steers really well on the ground
Best of luck for the first flight! Hope you have a good airstrip for those little wheels!

standard size of nose wheel, just an extra wheel , and the Herc actually flies off the grass in the park (admittedly lying from the cricket wicket), but it has lifted off from the park itself often

RigPig

War Hero
I have finally finished the G Wagen. It has had some use outside and some trees and stuff have jumped out in front of it. It also rolls quiet easily when turning on the road at full speed, so the roof stickers have born the brunt of that.

Some of the stickers are wonky and the paint on the spare wheel is crap, I could not get the red to flow well and where I took the masking off it needs touching up. That may not be happening unless I get bored or find a matching sharpie. The thing is made to play with and not to show. Happy with it overall.
DA94FE5D-4894-45E2-84D5-8FFF52872DB7.jpeg
57F0ED0E-3301-4FE2-B212-E93CEE55E8BE.jpeg
4BC9FF1D-23B3-4056-ABCF-6E1705B37F21.jpeg

I've posted on the military modelling thread:
Can't fly my L2 Grasshopper (thanks @Halftrack ) because covid has closed the flying field.
Can't fly my drone because of covid
So bought this to play with and spend some time weathering and painting it
Can't- because now so busy with work it's had a couple of trundles in the garden shooting BB's and that's it ( 1/16 PzIII R/C )

PzIII.jpg

Last edited:
I've posted on the military modelling thread:
Can't fly my L2 Grasshopper (thanks @Halftrack ) because covid has closed the flying field.
Can't fly my drone because of covid
So bought this to play with and spend some time weathering and painting it
Can't- because now so busy with work it's had a couple of trundles in the garden shooting BB's and that's it ( 1/16 PzIII R/C )

View attachment 507513
As models go, they are not bad out of the box, but look great with a paint job and weathering.

The metal tracks make a difference. I'm looking forward to weathering it. Not too much, just a little scuffed. :)
Someone did this to their P3. Bit OTT for some, but I like it, coming from the more is more school of weathering!
20200928_135520.jpg

Latest Threads