Radio Control Modelling....planes cars and boats... time to finally admit you never grew up

You're a bit lateb
now
You're a bit late, new legislation coming into force , December, all RC flyers ( above very light weight) to take written test and pay for a licence annually , been a bitching topic on all the RC sites we're being hounded , but the ******** s doing this shit aren't going to bother registering
CAA has been trying to get this for years , looks like they may get control of the modeller that they always have been after
Going to be interesting how Amazon is going to get round not being allowed to fly without the drones being in line of sight like all FPV models currently are under the present laws
Personally I never thought the delivery drone was a serious contender in the UK. So many potential litigation issues to overcome. But the registration issue is another hoop the law abiding flyer is going to have to jump through.

Flying IN your personal drone could be a thing of the future depending on how the CAA want to deal with it. The technology is here already. Would you need a helicopter/PPL licence if the aircraft was autonomous/semi autonomous?

Flying IN your personal drone could be a thing of the future depending on how the CAA want to deal with it. The technology is here already. Would you need a helicopter/PPL licence if the aircraft was autonomous/semi autonomous?
Will the drone get Wednesday and Friday afternoons off, and never fly on weekends or if it’s slightly moist? ‘Cos if so it’ll be back to the Heli-Bedford (sorry, taxi)...:)

The 'full size' drones are much more capable machines than your RC types. Even fully electric airliners are being planned. The future IS electric! Probably. Possibly. Maybe.

Hello chaps, finally back home
strange month in my head planning what to get sorted out when I got back , do I rebuild the skyvan in balsa, do I sort out the foamy skyvan do I finish the Goliath and the Zagibomber
All of the above , but the balsa skyvan will have to wait a while... what I did note when looking at the balsa skyvan plans , was the wing was actually a one piece jobby, and I'd used carbon tubes to make them detachable , and there was the mistake the foam wasn't man enough to hold it square , the wings went out of line , and the crash two minutes with clear gorilla glue , and now a solid one piece wing as it should have been , now ready to test fly again , except it's pishing down with no prospect of it stopping... so onto the Goliath ..engine nacelles now mounted solidly onto the wing, the slot for it to form over the wing wasn't the bonniest bit of cutting I've ever done , but they went on using Gorilla expanding foam as an adhesive/filler (they aren't coming off in a hurry)
Great that I get back just as Strictly starts again , no "Beagle , can you do this for me , or the that, etc , just two hours of peaceful solitude last night, it was glorious (we have been holed up in a camper in steadily worsening weather for a week after all, and you can only drink so much wine and eat so much cheese)
anyway , for your entertainment , a couple of films from my FB... enjoy

That top one is bloody impressive!
I've got a bit of a thing about the dash 8 400 halftrack, rediscovered THIS when I was up in the loft this evening , to get a wing with motors for recycling into the Goliath
I had made this tube fuselage many years ago ,Not from any plan , just a sketch up and cut some foam I made a sort of lathe to hold a large long square sectioned block of pink foam, , and the hot wire held at the correct radius, switched on the power and just let the weight of the foam pull itself round , quite easy actually, cut a slot , and dropped the wire one inch deep and repeated between centres, out popped the centre. Did the rear taper the same way, but with thinner walls, cut off the end at an angle and joined it to the tube , front section is a carved block of foam papered with medium brown paper and thinned PVA then all flattened with wet and dry used dry and then re painted with the glue
then you move house and shove it in the loft with all your old airframes , and forget you built it ten+ years ago, until you see a film on facebook , and think , " you know that looks very familiar!"
(please lord , let me finish just one plane before I start off again on the next)
IMG_20191007_210732_hdr.jpg
IMG_20191007_210746_hdr.jpg

That fuz is looking sharp! You have got to finish that one!

Just when you thought that Dash 8 was impressive, up pops this on my FB

loved the way he started the prop spinning , just has to be one of the more realistic models flying with regards to speed
Just brilliant, I think these could be from Intermodelbau Dortmund

Leipzig , not Dortmund

Just when you thought that Dash 8 was impressive, up pops this on my FB

loved the way he started the prop spinning , just has to be one of the more realistic models flying with regards to speed
Just brilliant, I think these could be from Intermodelbau Dortmund
Incredible. 1/4 scale, fully loaded with goodies and only 4kg! Indoor design, building and flying at it's best. That is just awesome.

honestly chaps , this is the last one for a while

Latest Threads