Radio Control Modelling....planes cars and boats... time to finally admit you never grew up

Storks...... Sitting outside a bar in Silves, watching them circling lazily in a thermal over the river , and seeing the swallows flying high , lift obviously excellent, and my ASW 17 at home , life is sometimes hard to bear

So, you are sitting at a bar, in the sweltering heat, sampling the local cuisine and watching the wildlife? Yep, life is hard. :p

A quick run down to the local model shop for some retail therapy is required.

So, you are sitting at a bar, in the sweltering heat, sampling the local cuisine and watching the wildlife? Yep, life is hard. :p

A quick run down to the local model shop for some retail therapy is required.
No LMS, check that everwhere.....very voyeuristic when it comes to those shops

That's me back in the w
IMG_20190322_170235.jpg
orkshop again , and I am not satisfied with the results of the first wing / motor set up

anyway , the mark 2 wing for the Goliath is now under way ,

IMG_20190322_170627.jpg

foams been sitting in my room since about 2010... now cut and sand up a couple of Clark Y formers from formica and lets get the show back on the road

I've been looking for a tube for the Lanc plans without luck. Plenty at work I suspect. Will have a look next week.

Saw this today, it’s a new release from a firm called ‘Microaces’. Does anyone have experience with their products, the WW1 series look great to a novice like me.

Saw this today, it’s a new release from a firm called ‘Microaces’. Does anyone have experience with their products, the WW1 series look great to a novice like me.

Yep, I have their SE5A to put together. Requires Spektrum or similar ultra micro servos and motor setup off the Sukhoi or similar models, but they can supply all that. Can be tricky things to put together, but when done are very scale and look great.

Fly in a sports hall or outside on a windless day. Would not recommend if you have not flown before.

Need anymore info, just let me know.

Last edited:

No experience of those particular models, but as a noob to fixed-wing I've got a few tiny planks to play with. Throttle control seems to be the thing to master.

You can do a lot to calm a small model down by setting the rates low and expo high, but these models are scale bipes with their idiosyncrasies. Get your inevitable crashes in on something a bit more robust, forgiving and able to cope with wind.

I love flying my tiny Ares Pup/DVII/Spad models, but outside those days when the wind is right are few and far between.

I've been looking for a tube for the Lanc plans without luck. Plenty at work I suspect. Will have a look next week.
like I said mate , absolutely no hurry

frustrating couple o hours this afternoon , managed to mess up two cuts before I got a decent core one was going great then the wire caught up on one of the nails that were holding the templates , the other was when the pull strings came off the pulleys anyway, not a bad core having not cut a core for over ten years , and this is the first time using a cutting table
second one getting done tonight
IMG_20190323_162010.jpg
IMG_20190323_162143.jpg

and the second core took 20 minute .... and they match , just a gentle sand to remove the "angels hair"
spruce 3mm sq spars and bury the cables then cover , with lightweight brown paper and pva
IMG_20190323_190954.jpg

That looks very professional to me. What are you going to skin them with? Brown paper??

That looks very professional to me. What are you going to skin them with? Brown paper??
had been toying with some sort of geared winder to pull the cutter wire, ended up using a heavy plumb line as weight and pulleys, worked ok tbh
I may use heavy weight tissue and watered down diamond hard varnish,it doesn't shrink as much as diluted PVA, brown paper is stronger though now got to cut motor nacelles and get a couple of new 2822s or 2812 e maxs , not happy with the brushed motors on the first wing , not enough thrust using 2 s lipo6.4 volt , they are designed for 8 ni mhs, 9.6 volts , 11.1 from 3s lipos burn them out fairly quickly
Chris Golds used to use brown paper all the time long while back

I've got a fun fly 'combat' Hurricane which should be covered in brown paper. I should dig that out and finish it off.

Evenin', the collective
just a progress report on the wing, actually quite chuffed with how it is turning out
I've decided to cover it with the lightest brown paper I can find , and watered PVA, but an going to soak the paper in the shower as it hangs from a modified coathanger , with a strip of dowel clipped to the bottom to stop it folding in on itself, hopefully a good couple of soaks and it should be pre shrunk by the time it dries
anyway here's a photo of it tonight, ignore the very disorganized work area
IMG_20190326_193713.jpg

Evenin', the collective
just a progress report on the wing, actually quite chuffed with how it is turning out
I've decided to cover it with the lightest brown paper I can find , and watered PVA, but an going to soak the paper in the shower as it hangs from a modified coathanger , with a strip of dowel clipped to the bottom to stop it folding in on itself, hopefully a good couple of soaks and it should be pre shrunk by the time it dries
anyway here's a photo of it tonight, ignore the very disorganized work areaView attachment 384771
Always wondered how you controlled the shrinkage of brown paper. Now I know!

So!!! you know when you've started something , and it getting close to flying, then you see a short vid on youtube and you get a bit side tracked
so a quick phone call to balsa cabin a n order on ebay to my parts cutter (I Gull tech, laser cutting)and three days later,off we go with yet another must build again planes... I originally built the Keil Kraft Invader when I was 13 and have a wanted to build it again for a long time, I had a plan ... how long will it take anyway, couple of evenings

like hell it will now into week 3
IMG_20190514_204923.jpg

Latest Threads