Radio Control Modelling....planes cars and boats... time to finally admit you never grew up

Thought I would do a quick review of the Ares range of WW1 scouts. They have been around for two or three years now, and currently there are three in the range. The Sopwith Pup was first, followed by the Fokker DVII, then the Spad S XIII. They are indoor/outdoor flyers. when I say indoor, that's a sports hall type building. When I say outdoor, that's dead calm. Period. The slightest breeze will blow them all over the place. A hot summer evening is perfect.

azsa1500_g.jpg

s-l300.jpg

41rqtGmeEkL._SX355_.jpg

The range has evolved a bit. The Pup has wing struts held in place by magnets, which work fine. The Fokker has a bit more detail, and the Spad more detail still, there is even a battery cover with this one.

So what do you get in the box? The models are 13-14" wingspan and are made of printed/painted lightweight foam sheet. They are three channel - throttle, elevator and rudder. Being three channel they have to have pronounced dihedral for stability, whereas the originals have little or none. There are numerous scale touches such as a profile pilot, moulded wing rib detail, an authentic trim scheme, plus a wood colour propeller and struts.

You also get a basic 2.4Ghz transmitter and a single cell flight battery, which is charged from the transmitter. This is held in place on the model by a very small magnet.

Put the batteries in the transmitter, charge the flight battery and you are good to go. Or are you? I've looked at a number of these models and some are put together better than others. Sometimes the wings are slightly misaligned (one of mine is like this and still flies fine). Sometimes the control surfaces are out of alignment. This is easily fixed by adjusting U bend in the control wires. Once set up you are ready to launch.

These models are NOT for the first timer. They can be very 'skittish' until they are trimmed to fly hands off, and being small can get away from you. They don't fly that fast so you might have to work at gaining height, especially when the battery is running down. The tiny battery will last for five minutes or more which is fantastic. For their construction they are quite robust, mine have had unplanned arrivals with no damage at all. This is down to their weight and slow flying. With a bit of a dive to pick up speed they will loop. They do not glide well (hell they are biplanes!) so need flying down to a landing.

I just love flying these models on a calm evening, doing a dusk patrol around the sky. They are my go-to models for a quick fun fly.

Last edited:
I grabbed a specky dx6i from one of my RC sites on Facebook, bargain at £35, two minor faults 1. friction stop on the throttle slack , remove the back and replace a screw ...done , 10 minutes... and a slightly wobbly flap switch

ref your last post halftrack , everybody needs a plane like that , I have a GWS pico moth flies like a free flighter , and a HK wilga nice to set the throttle ticking over and leaving them to fly in gentle circles (one at a time obnviously)

That's a bargain Mr B!

Re the Lanc plans. They have had minor tweaks and am yet to download. ;)

Van now loaded , compromise with the wife

she says no planes going to Portugal with me , I accepted it..........................(compromised on her terms, she should be negotiating Brexit FFS)

she says no planes going to Portugal with me , I accepted it..........................(compromised on her terms, she should be negotiating Brexit FFS)
Could you quickly nip out and buy a cheap (£30 from B&M etc) drone to play with - not a plane and therefore you have not transgressed....

Have a good break! Will download the revised Lanc plans for when you get back.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not a plane, car or boat, but a tank.

I've wanted one of these for many years now:
1/16 R/C Russian KV-1 Full Option Model Tank Kit

The price was originally around £1,000, but it has fallen over the years to a much more reasonable £800. I've even seen some being sold at around £700. Yet still my good wife won't buy me one for Christmas.
Buy it for yourself from her, because " You hate seeing her stressing over things at Xmas" What could go wrong there?

Not a plane, car or boat, but a tank.

I've wanted one of these for many years now:
1/16 R/C Russian KV-1 Full Option Model Tank Kit

The price was originally around £1,000, but it has fallen over the years to a much more reasonable £800. I've even seen some being sold at around £700. Yet still my good wife won't buy me one for Christmas.
I believe Heng Long or similar do one? Junk the board put a Clarke one in and you have a great tank for a fraction of the price.

Have a great holiday, G. I'm dead jealous!

This is what can be done with a basic HL tank. Quite impressive really.

If you are ever looking for top end competition gliders, I recomend Hyperflight.

Hyper AVA Pro-e 4m - RC Models - Electric F5J Soarers

They stock quite a few designs from Vladimirs models that are built using Dr Mark Drela’s research and design. I have had several models from this place for my competition flying and they have all been perfectly built and have been a joy to fly.
Lordy! That's an impressive bit of kit! But for an impressive price! o_O

Any recommendations for a good leci powered foamy thermal soarer?

Lordy! That's an impressive bit of kit! But for an impressive price! o_O

Any recommendations for a good leci powered foamy thermal soarer?
To be honest, I have not had good experiences with foamy soarers. A lot of people rate the e-flite Radian, but I found that it’s fuselage warped at speed and the wings flexed way too much.

I prefer built up models. Where possible I build from plan or kit. For competition class gliders it has to be carbon/glass and all that expensive shite sadly.

Is it pure thermal soaring that you are looking for?

To be honest, just want to bung it in the car, get her up and look for some thermals. 80% of my fleet is leci, so have plenty of batteries.

Give me a shout if you want a full size copy of the plans BTW. Have access to a plotter.

Give me a shout if you want a full size copy of the plans BTW. Have access to a plotter.
do you need a firm yes now , then yes please , but I will sort things out in about 6 weeks when we get back

G

do you need a firm yes now , then yes please , but I will sort things out in about 6 weeks when we get back

G
No worries. Give me a shout when you get back. I'll find a tube to post them in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Jobs Offered 0
B Weapons, Equipment & Rations 145
Sid_Ruff Classified Ads 10

Latest Threads