Radio Control Modelling....planes cars and boats... time to finally admit you never grew up

folding that depron last night was a proper pain in the arse, if you are building that lancaster , Halftrack it isn't difficult , but all the time you are folding and heating the foam you are waiting for that "crack" sound. I used the side of a board , with weights on the outside of the sheet, and gradually used the heat gun soften it
anyway, it is turning out ok
anyway ... here'are a couple of photos showing the progress

the twisted fuselage by the way is an optical illusion View attachment 369619 View attachment 369620
Now that is just the mutts! I like!

I Need to find out how to work with depron. The lanc plans are not finished yet.

The wife has gone back to work and I have a couple of days to myself so I have had a chance to watch C4's Battle of Britain Model Squadron, which has been sitting on the Sky box since September. Does anyone know where the battery-powered polystyrene 1/10 models they used are from? They look fantastic.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I believe most are Dynam models.

DYNAM MESSERSCHMITT BF110 1500mm WARBIRD w/o TX/RX/Batt

DYNAM HAWKER HURRICANE MkI 1250mm w/o TX/RX/Batt

DYNAM MESSERSCHIMTT BF-109 1270mm w/o TX/RX/Batt

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hi, my name is Halftrack and I'm a RC addict. Phew, feel better already!

Started off with the usual Tamiya cars with their brushed motors and nicad batteries and had a lot of fun. Then thought it would be great to fly. Built a trainer and had a couple of lessons. Made a rookie mistake and forgot to charge the receiver battery. It flew far better without me in control and disappeared into the distance never to be seen again! One thing or another happened and many years later gave it another go and taught myself to fly using lecci power this time. At last count have about 30 aircraft of different shapes and sizes in the 'hanger'. My current fave is my SE5A.

Can you ground-strafe with it? No? Pah!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
free online apparently:

I'd love to have the plans for the Wartie.
They are going to put the plans on their website as open source, or sell ready cut, flat foam board kits for self-assembly.

What I like is that they needed somewhere to fly their stuff so they bought a golf course that was up for sale. Edgewater Airpark - and R/C addicts dream location.

Request for Mr Beagle. Could you possibly do a 'how to build in depron' thread please? I know nothing of the black art that is depron.
He'll just tell you to use a hammer, but not to strangle the fecking thing! :p

Request for Mr Beagle. Could you possibly do a 'how to build in depron' thread please? I know nothing of the black art that is depron.

In my limited building experience , there is not a lot of difference between Balsa bashing and depron basically stick to slab siders and avoid anything with a compound curve... which is why my three planes on here , The Twins, Skyvan and now the Goliath are just shaped boxes
You can build from most plans for trainers, rule of thumb is 6 MM (1/4 ") is substitute for 1/8 balsa if more strength is required , i.e for fixing undercarriage onto , laminate a bit of liteply , or hard balsa between doubled up depron formers, for wing sheeting use 3mm (1/8") to skin the wings ... wing ribs can be made from 6mm if an open structure is being built , just glue 1/16th balsa cap strips on them , and when using film , go easy on the heat
I find the only difficult thing is moulding depron to form wing leading edges... first , find the centre of the leading edge curve you want to form , and on the outside of the foam lay a strip of 2 inch clear parcel tape the length of the wing. This should stop it from just breaking in half when you are forming it
Lay the front centre line of the curve along the board (if you note from my photos , it is an off cut from a work surface with a curved edge at the top of about 10 mm)... I then use a load of spring clamps to hold a 1 metre rule along the outer edge (top of the wing I was folding) and gently increased the weight of clamps ,as I was gently heating where I wanted the curve to go
you wont get 90 degree bend , but probably about 70 , then take it all off the weights (leave on the ruler it keeps the edge straight)and turn the whole wing over , so the bottom of the wing is flat on the board ... tape the back of the wing down to the board to stop it moving ( I use loads of Blenderm type tape , buy it in home bargains , last 4 boxes only cost 35 pence each, or go to boots and spent £2 a roll, but very little difference ) then clamp down the wing with a long flat piece of wood , I used skirting board leftovers. and use another piece of wood( i used 4" x 48" piece of off cut 10 mm mdf) held right up to where the bend is , and now using the heat gun to warm the inside of the leading edge gently fold back evenly until it is sitting flat , then weigh the mdf strip down heat the outside of the LE and it will eventually stay in the formed shape .... sounds complicated in fact it is a bit time consuming , but pretty obvious and straight forward when you get going
that's basically it for shaped wings , if you want more basic , a "Jedelsky?" type wing which is just a curved surface on top , over 6 mm formers with cuts length wise but not all the way through and emery board nail file stolen from the wifes ( or your own if you are that way inclined ) make up box will open the slot and allow the depron ( did I forget to mention 6 mm depron) to be shaped around the formers, if I do this type of wing i usually squeeze a line of waterproof PVA into the slots , helps keep the shape and imparts a fair amount of strength and holds the shape over the wing (Camber) you will need a spar running lengthways along the wing 4mm carbon tube is probably best... CF arrow shafts if you know a budding Robin Hood
I mentioned Blenderm surgical tape , great for making hinges on elevators and such , when you've got them working the way you want , a fingertip of PVA rubbed onto them bonds the tape permanently to the foam, and for cleaning up butt joints on the fuselage sides

I could go on and on , but these are the basics , shit loads of info on RCGroups website tons of pictures and such... mainly , don't rush anything

now , how to use a sledge hammer properly to remove trackpins from Challenger mk 1 ,Chieftain , 430 series and CVRT tracks
pick up the hammer by the end that doesn't have the big lump of iron stuff and swing it like a golf club, (or a croquet mallet if you're posh) ... just don't hold it behind the lumpy bit , that is known in the trade as strangling the F@@@er

pick up the hammer by the end that doesn't have the big lump of iron stuff and swing it like a golf club, (or a croquet mallet if you're posh) ... just don't hold it behind the lumpy bit , that is known in the trade as strangling the F@@@er
And something I have been diligently passing down for the past 17 years :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou The Intelligence Cell 10
P Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 13
Sid_Ruff Classified Ads 10