Radio chatter on the TV

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Birddog, Sep 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

I wonder if any Royal Signals guys out there can clear up a common question.

On most pants TV / Hollywood War Films you often hear people say, "Over and Out" on the Radio, everyone tells me this is incorrect I am sure it is too.

Also why are you not allowed to say "Repeat" over the net something to do with Artillery I was told.

Just need to put a few people straight.

Regards

Birddog.

2. Over and out is an Americanism tmk. Calls end in either over (I want a reply), or out (I don't want a reply).

Repeat sounds too much like retreat (or that's what i was told, and the British Army never retreats, it withdraws strategically or otherwise). Repeat is also used in fire missions for more rounds on the target.

3. Basically Over means

I have finished talking and I want a response from you

Out means

I have finished talking and I do not want a response, therefore Over and Out is a contradiction.

Never heard about the repeat thing sorry

4. Correct

5. Over and out is an Americanism tmk. Calls end in either over (I want a reply), or out (I don't want a reply).

Repeat sounds too much like retreat (or that's what i was told, and the British Army never retreats, it withdraws strategically or otherwise). Repeat is also used in fire missions for more rounds on the target.[/quote]

That's it. Except 'over and out' is a Hollywood-ism. You also often hear them use the old phonetic alphabet in movies. 'able baker charlie' etc.

I'm surprised someone who has an Arty avatar doesn't know about 'repeat'

6. If I can remember the time spent/wasted doing AOP training, 'Repeat' to the gun end means 'I'll have another one, just like the last one'. So if you've just softened up your enemy with five rounds Fire-For-Effect, you can finish them off with another five.

7. And you don't want to use contact in the wrong context (e.g. can you contact 0A and tell him etc.)

This word is reserved for either shooting at or being shot at and the misuse would often earn you a clip round the ear.

8. Gents,

Thanks for all your impute.

Birddog

9. When I was a sprog, it was a bit more than a clip, I can assure you, same for repeat. Both words reserved in VP for one use only. Its "say again", if you want 0A you say "Fetch".

10. If repeat is not used as it sounds too much like retreat why is it used in fire missions?

11. It's just normal for the Arty to retreat, just blame it on confused orders. :) :)