Radio Caroline

I listened to Caroline, thanks to a bloke called Ronan O'Rahilly. Simon Dee was the first Caroline DJ to be heard I think. The Marine, &c., Broadcasting (Offences) Act (repealed) became law in August 1967 but nothing could be done legally to stop Radio Caroline. HQ and Caroline House staff in London closed and moved to Holland, while one cover office operated in Dean Street. This was I believe where Caroline recruited, and received supplies and records. But in international waters Caroline was more a 'free' radio ship.

The law went after Caroline's advertisers, criminalising them for supplying and assisting the station. In the end this was how it was shut down through debts and lack of funds, and the BBC was losing its monopoly.

Johnnie Walker took a break from Radio 2 recently, and he was one of the original staff with Robbie Dale "The Admiral" who defiantly kept Caroline running on the Mi Amigo, risking fines and jail time if they came back to Blighty. Supply ships stopped, so small boats and the Dutch kept Caroline going until the station ran out of funds.

There are a few good books on the story, I have a good one by Ray Clark, somewhere in the house.

The new Radio Scala didn't sound too bad this week online. Classical stuff with some crossovers and a few new names, albeit there's Mark Kermode, Penny Smith, Goldie, and Anthea Turner in there as well. It still sounded much better than the old mainstream stations and ideal for the phone and buds.

Radio Garden is a website that give you access to thousands of radio stations around the globe - with a very handy interactive globe to find them on. All sorts of dross on there of course but there should be something for everybody.

Radio Garden

For those who like a bit of murder and mayhem to accompany their easy listening

You are listening to Los Angeles

Ambient music with overlays of real time police radio from a host of US cities. I have enjoyed, far more than I probably should, relaxing to some chilled grooves whilst LA's finest are dispatched to, and issued descriptions of, an active crime scene.

no love for radio 6 at all?
I'm quite a fan of R6 Music. Huey Morgan, saturday mornings. Cerys Matthews, sunday mornings. Lauren Laverne, weekday breakfast show. All pretty good and diverse. Best of all; Craig Charles's funk & soul show on saturday evenings. Excellent music to cook to.

Sadly Mary Anne Hobbs weekend breakfast shows have replaced by the two professional northerners; Radcliffe & Maconie. It's now a combination of the worst, self-congratulatory, BBC local radio banter and a John Peel revivalist session. Wall to wall shoite indie bands of past and present.

Often when listening to MAH I'd hear something interesting. Thinking "that sounds pretty decent". It'd either be a classic from the past that I'd not heard for ages, or something new that 3 months later would be on the R1 playlist and 3 months after that, the R2 playlist.

I used to listen to a lot of radio. Mainly R4 and a bit of R2. R2 has changed over the last few years, so it is more like the R1 that we used to listen to in the 80s. R4 has gone downhill badly over the last few years though and is no longer my go to station. Classic FM is now getting a lot more airtime.

My radio treat was Forgotten 80's on a Sunday evening on Absolute 80's when it was still on DAB. However it went online only, and I tend not to listen online.

I might give the Radio Caroline link a try though.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm quite a fan of R6 Music. Huey Morgan, saturday mornings. Cerys Matthews, sunday mornings. Lauren Laverne, weekday breakfast show. All pretty good and diverse. Best of all; Craig Charles's funk & soul show on saturday evenings. Excellent music to cook to.

Sadly Mary Anne Hobbs weekend breakfast shows have replaced by the two professional northerners; Radcliffe & Maconie. It's now a combination of the worst, self-congratulatory, BBC local radio banter and a John Peel revivalist session. Wall to wall shoite indie bands of past and present.

Often when listening to MAH I'd hear something interesting. Thinking "that sounds pretty decent". It'd either be a classic from the past that I'd not heard for ages, or something new that 3 months later would be on the R1 playlist and 3 months after that, the R2 playlist.
Sorry - I love me a bit of r&m. The graveyard shift on R1 back in the day was brilliant.

Chris Evans in the morning and podcasts and audio books thereafter. There is a world of knowledge out there.
I will agree with that. They're a godsend when working outdoors and for passing the time, old comedy as well. It even works with YouTube on the moby - any subject you like.

now back in south west london ex pirate station radio jackie being going on/off since 1969.
good, local news, relaxed broadcasting and good on the ear.

i normally listen online these days

I listened to Caroline, thanks to a bloke called Ronan O'Rahilly.
I'll try to dig out the book later for you.
I know he was always punting his mate David Mc Williams who sang 'Days of Pearly Spencer' -
Days of Pearly Spencer - Wikipedia

Fascinating thing from the link:
The BBC refused to play the record, however, because of Solomon's involvement in the offshore radio station Radio Caroline, and thus the record failed to chart in either the UK or the Republic of Ireland.

Covered by Marc Almond, as a 'homage'.

I have a LP record of the pirate stations with all the jingles and DJ's . The pirates were in full swing when I was at Dover JL Regt RE in 1965
That jogged a memory, an annoying jingle from the Voice of Peace, "Drink cool refreshing water there's nothing better for you. Drink cool refreshing water today!" It was the only English speaking radio channel when up at Fig Tree Bay / Nissi Beach in the late 70's, BFBS being out of range.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
crustyrusty The NAAFI Bar 44
CptDanjou The Intelligence Cell 10
P Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 13