Radio Caroline

Like many on here I have been struggling to find a radio station to listen to, Radio 2, my choice for many years has been slowly turning to dross and is now, IMO, total dross and unlistenable. I don’t have a lot of choice around here, DAB – 11 Stations, all BBC, FM - most BBC, 1 commercial depending on which way the wind is blowing. I tried the FreeSat channels, lots of choice but I can’t say I was overly enthused with many of them.

Tried radioplayer on the interweb, many channels most of them binned for, too narrow a music choice, too much chat, me, me, me, presenters, or too many ads.

Tuned into Radio Caroline, yes it is the old pirate from back in the day, now land based and legal, am and DAB in some areas, interweb all over the world. I was very pleasantly surprised with the choice, quality and breadth of genre, very eclectic and varied. Very little chat, the presenters tend to talk about the choons and albums rather than themselves, no news, just the ships bell at the top of the hour very few ads.

I must admit to a few irritations, I don’t much go for the “Elvis hour ” and a few other bits but I just tune into Caroline Flashback for that period, all 60s and 70s music.

Ladies and Gents, I commend Radio Caroline to the house….

JB

PS Some Cold War warriors may remember “Oy Oy” Chris Pearson from BFBS Days,he presents a fine Saturday morning show from 9 – 12.

Caroline here: Radioplayer

Flashback here: Caroline Flashback

Edited to add the sites I forgot..... Thanks Flaggie for your prescient reminder .... the shame....

Last edited:
Times change, things move on and we get older. BBC Radio has slid over time to where it is now, but this doesn't really explain why UK radio is a bit shite or why weird radio people play so much terrible music nowadays. It can't all be down to age and grumpy old git syndrome; radio could actually be swirling down the crapper.

Radio Caroline wasn't broadcasting when I tuned in yesterday, doesn't seem to be worth it. There's still digital to explore and foreign radio could not be that much worse, so that's my excuse for a new DAB Radio and wider reception this weekend. Weekends used to be good on radio, once.

They're getting their own back for us crusties voting for Brexit.

There's almost no one now left at 2 that's worth bothering with.

The final straw for me is that screaming, posturing twat, Rylan Clark- Neal.

The campest play list, nothing tasteful, crap from divas, rave and Lloyd Fuckinwebber

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
no love for radio 6 at all?

Like many on here I have been struggling to find a radio station to listen to, Radio 2, my choice for many years has been slowly turning to dross and is now, IMO, total dross and unlistenable. I don’t have a lot of choice around here, DAB – 11 Stations, all BBC, FM - most BBC, 1 commercial depending on which way the wind is blowing. I tried the FreeSat channels, lots of choice but I can’t say I was overly enthused with many of them.

Tried radioplayer on the interweb, many channels most of them binned for, too narrow a music choice, too much chat, me, me, me, presenters, or too many ads.

Tuned into Radio Caroline, yes it is the old pirate from back in the day, now land based and legal, am and DAB in some areas, interweb all over the world. I was very pleasantly surprised with the choice, quality and breadth of genre, very eclectic and varied. Very little chat, the presenters tend to talk about the choons and albums rather than themselves, no news, just the ships bell at the top of the hour very few ads.

I must admit to a few irritations, I don’t much go for the “Elvis hour ” and a few other bits but I just tune into Caroline Flashback for that period, all 60s and 70s music.

Ladies and Gents, I commend Radio Caroline to the house….

JB

PS Some Cold War warriors may remember “Oy Oy” Chris Pearson from BFBS Days,he presents a fine Saturday morning show from 9 – 12.
I would have gone for Nankers but he hung-up his headphones last year. Ows Yer Parts?

Sadly, Mark 'Me! Me!' Page is still as annoying as ever. The Bumbling Fumbling Burbling Service. Kids today. don't know what they're missing.

Diversity is sh1t........

Music is the be all and end all.

Tom Robinson has depped well for Johnnie Walker, Dale Winton did a superb show on soul- music,

Paul O' Grady is just funny, there must be lot's of gay presenters out there, why saddle us with complete twats like Graham Norton, Alan Carr, and now bloody Rylan.

no love for radio 6 at all?
Can be a bit too achingly right on for me.

I prefer a bit of variety in my music, I confess to being surprised at Caroline's output, they call themselves an album station and play lots of hit singles, but plenty of album tracks as well.

I have been introduced to lots of choons and artists I have never heard before.... including stuff Radio Metallica would be proud to call its own.

JB

Edit for speelung....

Last edited:
They're getting their own back for us crusties voting for Brexit.

There's almost no one now left at 2 that's worth bothering with.

The final straw for me is that screaming, posturing twat, Rylan Clark- Neal.

The campest play list, nothing tasteful, crap from divas, rave and Lloyd Fuckinwebber
I wouldn't know about that but ISTR a dit of Clark-Neal's about Tile shops or something, on WILTY. Lee Mack I think asked him if the same Tile shop did his teeth [those hideous massive white gnashers of his].

t' interweb crashed, as it does, reset interweb as you do, pressed play, Carline Flashback played, SWMBO had obviously had a fiddle, fnaar fnaar, the elvis hour i had avoided earlier was on repeat... back to Caroline main...

JB

For me it's Radio 4 mostly and just just sometimes Classic FM. Everything else is complete dross and the same old shite. No original content just playing records and inane speech between them. Few experts speaking on any subjects
One example out of hundreds; he other day someone was speaking on Radio 4 about cutting edge short pulse lasers when the "traffic alert" cut in to mention washing powder on sale at Asda. There's no comparision.

Spent the 1970s listening to the pirates on the North Sea. Heard most of the ones on Jerry Tumblers' map. Even did a few weeks as lookout for Radio Jackie at the end of the 1970s, when operations consisted of hiding in the woodlands of SW London with a transmitter, a car battery, a cassette player and a long-wire antenna.

Caroline here: Radioplayer

Perfect sound quality, natch, but I rather miss the fading of medium wave in the evenings, the hum of the ship's generator in the background and the presenter reading out a list of numbers to tell the shore team what supplies to send on the next tender.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
crustyrusty The NAAFI Bar 44
CptDanjou The Intelligence Cell 10
P Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 13