Radio 5 live now - should Harry Patch have got a knighthood?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by wompingwillow, Jun 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Debate is running long the lines of has the honours list sold out to the celebrity status and why has the only 2 surviving world war 2 vets only got gongs from France

2. What for, living? If Mr Patch deserved a K then he should have had one years ago. Mr Patch survived when thousands of his mates didn't, why does this merit any form of award nearly 100 years after the event.

3. I presume you mean WW1!

4. Are they for it though? Weren't the remaining veterans (when there were more than now) against a state funeral for the last Great War veteran? The consensus was that it wouldn't be fair on those who had served and survived and more importantly on those who died in the conflict. Do Harry Patch and Henry Allingham feel the same way about this? I don't know, but i could understand if they did. They are certainly against a state funeral for the last veteran, though.

5. Could Mr Patch and Mr Allingham not be asked if they would accept an honour on behalf of all those who are no longer with us,who fought in The Great War?

6. Information moves so quickly these days that you could quite easily find thousands upon thousands of people deserving of honours. Deciding exactly who gets one must be a task which gets harder every year.