Radio 2 Alcohol misuse is a problem among UK troops

Alcohol abuse can be symptomatic ie self medication.

Personally speaking, I think our drinking culture does more good than harm when its not actually linked to PTSD.. what would the army be without the odd monumental p*ss up??

apparantly they're also about to expose the fact that the pope is catholic and bears do in fact defecate in woodland!

Pete_the_writer said:
"Constantly Furious" ( http://constantlyfurious.blogspot.com/ ) has a good point to make. The limit for alcohol abuse has been lowered so much, we're ALL guilty...
EXCELLENT :D :lol:

Ithought that deserved a cut and paste

Well, who'd have ****ing well thought? Isn't this astonishing news?

Could it be that driving through a war zone, in a jeep made of used KitKat wrappers and Lego, is slightly more stressful than putting together a well-funded research paper with a foregone conclusion?

Is it possible that being on the front line, seeing your friends and colleagues injured, even killed, is a bit tougher then being a reporter, writing yet another space-filler about the demon alcohol to a deadline?

Might it be that if your workplace is filled with bearded lunatics who want you dead, rather than fat Dave, spotty Kev and Noreen from accounts, you'll could be expected to be little tense, in need of a relaxing outlet?

For ****'s sake.

And what's the definition of 'to excess' anyway? How do you 'abuse' alcohol? Given the way in which the Righteous have demonised and denormalised the eevil alcohol, the allowable amount has been pushed so low that we all ****ing well drink to excess, stressed or no. As soon as you raise your second pint to your lips, you've broken through the barriers.

Soldier, if you've fought for this country, if you've risked your life on our behalf, then you ****ing well deserve a drink.

In fact, the next one's on us. What'll you have?

Charm_City said:
There's more on the story here -

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=149581.html

I think the nub of it is that the study shows there is less mental illness as a result of ops than was thought, but that there may be significant alcohol misuse as a result.

C_C
C_C, Either I've had too much to drink or your link brings us straight back here...

Dollsteeth said:
I totally agree, the naafi prices are far higher then they used to be, how the hell are you supposed to get shited on the cheap????
Do what the most of the public do & purchase from the supermarkets instead :wink:

I do agree though with the naafi prices but this comes down to whoever wins the best contract, even spar & co-operative have been out-bid in certain areas!

thegimp said:
Pete_the_writer said:
"Constantly Furious" ( http://constantlyfurious.blogspot.com/ ) has a good point to make. The limit for alcohol abuse has been lowered so much, we're ALL guilty...
EXCELLENT :D :lol:

Ithought that deserved a cut and paste

Well, who'd have * well thought? Isn't this astonishing news?

Could it be that driving through a war zone, in a jeep made of used KitKat wrappers and Lego, is slightly more stressful than putting together a well-funded research paper with a foregone conclusion?

Is it possible that being on the front line, seeing your friends and colleagues injured, even killed, is a bit tougher then being a reporter, writing yet another space-filler about the demon alcohol to a deadline?

Might it be that if your workplace is filled with bearded lunatics who want you dead, rather than fat Dave, spotty Kev and Noreen from accounts, you'll could be expected to be little tense, in need of a relaxing outlet?

For *'s sake.

And what's the definition of 'to excess' anyway? How do you 'abuse' alcohol? Given the way in which the Righteous have demonised and denormalised the eevil alcohol, the allowable amount has been pushed so low that we all * well drink to excess, stressed or no. As soon as you raise your second pint to your lips, you've broken through the barriers.

Soldier, if you've fought for this country, if you've risked your life on our behalf, then you * well deserve a drink.

In fact, the next one's on us. What'll you have?
Well, I think it is a piece ranting tosh suitable only for the readership of the Daily Mail. This

is a complete non sequitur.

Is the chimp who wrote this arguing that there should be no basic research to establish where support of veterans should be directed?

Is he really suggesting that individuals with alcohol problems should be encouraged to drink??

I say again - pish!

C_C

Just listened to the bloke who wrote the paper - seemed pretty accurate to me. I especially like the bit where he said 'I am not say that the Army go into battle pissed'.

There was a sensible discussion from Prof Stephen Manley of London University on R4 as well. I believe that he was the one tasked with this project, wherein he's reviewed stats from WW2 to current ops.

He says that PTSD hasn't gone away, but it is not as statistically prevalent as was thought. He attributes this (I'm being dangerously brief here) to a professional military service, wherein folks who sign on are more aware of what they are getting into. He figures that PTSD is no more so in the military than in the public services (police, medical etc)

He remarked that we are all subject to limited Mental Health facilities which need looking at. He did say that alcohol was particularly a military issue.

This thread about Radio 2 sounds reminiscent of the interview on TV this morning, that I posted in this thread:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/posting/mode=quote/p=3334309.html

bovvy said:
BBC 1 TV Breakfast News had a substantial interview (around 7:15 this morning) with Dr Nicola Fear and Robert Marsh of Combat Stress. Their findings were that there was a high and increasing incidence of alcohol problems (self-medicating) post-tour, but the incidence of PTSD remained pretty constant. Their view mirrored the findings of Psychobabble and Neuroleptic in their informative posts on Arrse.

EDIT: The news presenters have since mentioned the above a couple more times, saying that it is a new study published in the Lancet.
Oh yes it's the same:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8677941.stm

One of the main retailers is currently selling 20 cans of Strongbow for £10!!!

Bargain, thats 50p a can, thats cheaper than a can of pop.

Just giving you all a heads up. my £30 is going to get me enough Strongbow to do some real damage.

What about us cold war warriors?
I was fucking shiters constantly for nigh-on five years whilst in my yoof, and no twat was trying to blow me up (except, PIRA & INLA that is 8O ).

I think the compelling evidence could be that based around the perception about was is, as rightly said by Mr. Furious, the definitjon of 'excess'. My experience of being in the Cavalry late 80's/early 90's was that being paralytic three-quarters of the time off-duty was normal, and one-quarter on SLTA was absolutely encouraged. Being caught D&D as a Officer/WO/SNCO was just an occupational hazard that just had to be experienced once. It took me a full year or so, to bring down my alcohol intake after I left the Cavalry as the RAOC wasn't quite so forgiving.

The booze culture has always been there and binge-sessions were a force of habit when the pubs opened around 6pm and closed at 11pm. :( Taking into account inflation, Lager is now cheaper in the supermarkets than is was 20 yrs ago, whereas I suspect the same cannot be said about the pub prices?
I don't doubt that all those who have served either in Afghanistan and Iraq aren't caning the lager like it's going out of fashion, but I suspect it isn't any more than we did all those years ago. I believe it's just that it's either being flagged-up more up to the CoC or possibly the enviroment has changed so that there's a more open and acceptable attitude about understanding and treating alcohol abuse, rather than ignore it and post them out to be someone else's problem?.
Perhaps some open-minded still-serving old-and-bold can clarify if this is the case?

From what I've heard from people who have worked either for or with the BBC, the Beeb are the LAST organisation to criticise others for heavy drinking. There is a drink culture in the media that makes post tour sessions look like temperance meetings.

Fat_Cav said:
My experience of being in the Cavalry late 80's/early 90's was that being paralytic three-quarters of the time off-duty was normal, and one-quarter on SLTA was absolutely encouraged.
Ahyes, good old Bunter who wouldn't get out of his scratcher on exercise until his Operator had brought him a coffee made with Baileys rather than milk. Chieftain charge bins used to keep the beer cool. Ready round racks exactly the right size for bottles of spirits & in a handy place for the Operator to get at them. Sitting on top of my Panzer with Goose having a beer or three as the sun went down.

I still have the pictures of the SSM & Goose asleep in their bashas surrounded by empty cans & one of my LCpls happily kipping next to a tree which bears the mark of his flood-like micturation.

It was hell going to BATUS as the new commandant had banned drinking on the prarie. A R Anglian he was known as Keving Teabag as he was judged common & a teetotaller by the Regiment...

mnairb said:
From what I've heard from people who have worked either for or with the BBC, the Beeb are the LAST organisation to criticise others for heavy drinking. There is a drink culture in the media that makes post tour sessions look like temperance meetings.
This could turn into a p1ssing contest about which occupation has the most drunks. :lol: Among my colleagues, NHS Mental Health Nurses, there were a lot of drunks. We became aware, from a couple of Air Traffic Controllers that were admitted as patients, that their number, too, included lots of drunks. 8O I guess the list could be endless. :omg:

Does anyone know of an alcoholic-free occupations?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 6
msr The Intelligence Cell 2
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 0