Radical past of top Whitehall Islamic aide

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Jul 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why dont you just paste a link, you will choke the bandwidth up with all this garb!

2. I think I'm more disturbed by the fact that the FCO's chief advisor on Islamic Affairs wasn't even born when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan.

In case anyone's forgotton, the previous SoS for Defence is a former Communist.

3. Crabtastic wrote:

In case anyone's forgotton, the previous SoS for Defence is a former Communist.

Which explains a lot about the damaging defence policies of this Government.

You can no more be a former communist than you can be considered a former paedophile.

4. As always, there's a big gap between what's reported and what's actually happening. The FCO has recruited a bright young British Muslim who knows the radical scene. Somebody has leaked confidential govt memoranda written by this adviser to the press, and the FCO are investigating this as a criminal offence.

For information, this is the memorandum from which the information is taken:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Observer/documents/2005/09/04/Document1.pdf

This memorandum sounds like common sense to me. The author is well-informed and knows what he's talking about. There is nothing in it which would undermine HMG policy.

5. IIRC, the general sense on Arrse is that John Reid was well thought of by serving members of HMF- although when compared to Swiss Toni and TCH, any objective evaluation might be hard to come by.

Now then, let's break down the p1ss-stained, bin-rummidging, tinfoil hat-wearing, Tennants Super-fuelled ramble above. One is an intellectual/philosphical position born of thought and reason, the other is a psychological prediliction. In the first case, it is fairly easy to change one's opinion when presented with new information and changing circumstances or when permitted time for greater reflection. The second is much more resistant to change- although I would love to know Herrenblo... Warrior_Poet's expertise regarding paedophilia comes from.

It is entirely possible that this guy has just done a bit of growing up in the past few years and had more time to evalute his position on a few things. Anyone who has been to university knows that student politics is filled with the most outlandish gobshites you can find anywhere with tendencies towards extremism of all hues. For example, at the other end of the spectrum you have Conservative Future, who for years were expelled from the Conservative party because of their extremist positions.

Even if he still holds these earlier conviction, which I doubt, surely the old adages of "send a thief to catch a thief" and "poacher turned gamekeeper" hold some water.

6. From the original Times article...

Don't see much influence being exerted on either Mrs Caravanning or Yo Blair, do you?

7. He certailny learned the art of capatalism well Crabtastic! What with his overseas accounts and his involvement in the privatisation of Defence Research. In fact many defence issue have a certain stench of corruption hanging over them and I'd love an investigation into certain links with certain Labour politicians.

You mention Paedophiles too... I point you in the direction of the findings of the Forest Gate Raid on that one... strange how many of my more controversially silly comments end up looking like foresight. Also strange that the BBC hasn't mentioned it.

As for the pocher turned Gamekeeper remark, I draw your attention to another former Commie who changed his tune... Slobodan Milosovic.. I think Reids conversion is also more to do with Political opportunism than any real ideals. In other words he's not to be trusted.

8. A nation can survive its fools and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and he carries his banners openly against the city. But the traitor moves among those within the gates freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears no traitor; he speaks in the accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their garments and he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men.

- Cicero, Speech to the Roman Senate