Radiator Bleed screw rounded off

triggerigger

War Hero
As you cant get at it leave it alone
Simply drill a hole in the radiator let the air out and cap it of with the appropriate self tapping screw.:biggrin:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
As you cant get at it leave it alone
Simply drill a hole in the radiator let the air out and cap it of with the appropriate self tapping screw.:biggrin:
Wouldn’t toilet tissue and blue tack be easier:???:

In that case I think a whole new heating system is required.
You might as well get a new boiler when you are at it, kill two birds with one stone and then you can relax this winter knowing that you have brand new radiators, pipe work and of course a new boiler.

Good idea... just make sure you plan for the four plus weeks between ordering a new boiler and the actual installation date if you use British Gas and are also a British Gas customer...

My boiler packed up in early October - earliest date for a new installation is mid-November... :-(

triggerigger

War Hero
Wouldn’t toilet tissue and blue tack be easier:???:
No if you are going to do something do it right.
I may have repaired a nailed ch pipe in a slum in this manner.
Got paid. Got out. No complaints,its probably still doing a bang up job.

Good idea... just make sure you plan for the four plus weeks between ordering a new boiler and the actual installation date if you use British Gas and are also a British Gas customer...

My boiler packed up in early October - earliest date for a new installation is mid-November... :-(
Ours has shit itself as well.
Engineer out again last Friday, new boiler being fitted 11th of November.

Oh and @MrBane stand fast.
Despite your reticence to pay for a quality plumber to fix your problem I whole heartedly recommend @MrBane’s BallCock and Bleedin Valves is Me Ltd.

He recently worked on my ensuite and I am very pleased with it...

E90290C3-9CBD-4BD6-B43F-363A423805F3.jpeg

My neighbour was less thrilled with the heated loo seat he fitted though.

886FE293-78A4-4C9B-A805-F4EABFCCC2C2.jpeg

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As the title says got one, no room to get at it as it's close to a wall. You can just about get a bleed key on it. Oh and @MrBane stand fast.
**** you all.

I've had this exact problem in downstairs loo and solved it.

Because the bleed bit had rounded off, I discovered the metal was quite soft. Took the widest flat head screwdriver that would fit across it and the inside of the ring, hammered the back of the screwdriver handle thus making a perfectly sized line in the head and turned it with said screwdriver..

Worked a charm.

However, I couldn't turn it back so half my heating system ended up on the floor, but that's alright - it's the winning that counts.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
As a ex reems, have you hit it with a 16lb lump hammer?

If so, you mug
If not, don't

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Relevant side track to this subject, I have fitted these radiator isolator valves to each radiator as I remove for decorating etc. It allows you to remove the radiator from the wall without draining the system down at all, and next to no bleeding. Isolate the radiator in the normal way, turn the isolators off on the radiator trapping the water in the radiator. Available from Screwfix
CF13669E-C2F6-4C72-96A9-458274775EA5.jpeg

I've replaced a few failed carp plastic ones recently with steel examples form Screwfix. Close both radiator valves and do a quick change hopefully avoiding a huge puddle of water.
Tell the wife it's a water-feature.

Polyester

Old-Salt
If you can get your hands on a small piece of inner tube from a bike tyre (or similar) cut it to about 10mm x 10mm, put it over the rounded off valve stem and then fit your brass radiator key over the top. It should generate enough grip to release the valve.

good luck.

Don't be tight - just spend £3.19

Shut both valves at the bottom of the radiator - use spanner to remove/fit a new vent plug. Open the bleed screw - and slowly open the thermostatic valve until the air is purged, close bleed screw, then open both valves on the radiator again. Time required: 2 minutes. Difficulty level: Spastic

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Relevant side track to this subject, I have fitted these radiator isolator valves to each radiator as I remove for decorating etc. It allows you to remove the radiator from the wall without draining the system down at all, and next to no bleeding. Isolate the radiator in the normal way, turn the isolators off on the radiator trapping the water in the radiator. Available from Screwfix
View attachment 426652
Hmm, does it come with pictures:-?
It sounds far too simple.

I'm not exactly 'feeling the faith' here in @MrBane and his DIY skills. Concerning really seeing as he's booked to re-wire our house and put in a new fireplace.

A slightly different solution, based only upon access. With heating off, put towels around the flow and returns, hopefully they're at the bottom of the rad. Fractionally back off the bottom fittings with a spanner and lift the rad a few mill off its brackets. Slowly lower the rad untiljust above horizontal, lean it on something on the floor. Hopefully now you have all the access you need to try all the different tricks listed above to sort the bleed valve out, with more towels, then rehang and tighten the bottom fittings. Bring heating up to demand to check the fittings are sound, then use your new bleed tool.

Latest Threads