Radiator Bleed screw rounded off

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
As the title says got one, no room to get at it as it's close to a wall. You can just about get a bleed key on it. Oh and @MrBane stand fast.

What sort of bleed key?
If its the plastic bit of crap they stick in with the rad throw it away.
If a proper brass key then grind about 5 mil off the end to get rid of the taper and hopefully with an adjustable on the end you should be able to crack it.
1572447318661.png

Close both valves at the bottom of the radiator. Remove the top radiator plug complete with the offending bleed screw. Fit new radiator plug complete with new bleed screw, remembering to put PTFE tape on the threads. Open bottom valves.

Job done. (Have some old towels handy in case of water release).

Close both valves at the bottom of the radiator. Remove the top radiator plug complete with the offending bleed screw. Fit new radiator plug complete with new bleed screw, remembering to put PTFE tape on the threads. Open bottom valves.

I was about to suggest exactly that. Doffs cap.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Its an old rad it's the bung type bleed

No idea tbh think it was just an error all the others are like you say.
In that case, replace both top plugs putting the one with the bleed screw at the sensible end.

I managed to get a very small 1/4 inch drive socket to work when one of mine got rounded. Think it was a 5.5 mill socket. It's still on the radiator, it's well jammed (and handy)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Its an old rad it's the bung type bleed
In that case I think a whole new heating system is required.
You might as well get a new boiler when you are at it, kill two birds with one stone and then you can relax this winter knowing that you have brand new radiators, pipe work and of course a new boiler.
Every cloud etc.
Best don’t mention politics to the heating engineer just in case he’s on the other side.

I managed to get a very small 1/4 inch drive socket to work when one of mine got rounded. Think it was a 5.5 mill socket. It's still on the radiator, it's well jammed (and handy)
There are several ways to remove the bleed screw but there's not much point when the replacement is sold complete with plug.

In that case, replace both top plugs putting the one with the bleed screw at the sensible end.
I've replaced a few failed carp plastic ones recently with steel examples form Screwfix. Close both radiator valves and do a quick change hopefully avoiding a huge puddle of water.

Latest Threads