Radfan Operations

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Tawahi-50, Jun 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Came across this 25 minute clip, I don't know whether it's been mentioned on ARRSE before. According to the BBC, it only got a very limited showing in East Anglia in 1964.

The infantry at the beginning and later are 1 Royal Anglian and the mountain piquets are 1 Royal Scots or 1 KOSB, the Ferrets are from 4 RTR and 16/5th Lancers.

Interesting to see shots of the Belvedere ('the flying banana')

Soldier in the Sun
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Fantastic find. Thankyou.
  3. Great bit of film. Better made than the packages we get from the BBC now.
  4. What a find. The last days of empire brings brings back more than a few memories.
  5. Am I being special needs? I can't seem to watch it for some reason. Could someone humour me and explain how to find/ watch the clip. My father in-law was Royal Scots in Aden at that time and will probably want to watch it.
  6. Fascinating stuff. Well done for tracking it down. I had relatives on the fringes of that campaign and their tales make more sense to me after seeing that. One of them wrote a poem-
    Farewell, then, Aden;
    ******** of the world.
    Goodbye is not worthwhile.

He was a modern poet of course.
  7. The last governor of Aden said something along the lines of "When we leave this place, only two British things will remain- the game of Association Football and the expression **** Off".
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Three things! There were one or two interestingly - coloured children who used to hang around the streets of Ma'alla. I often wondered what happened to them when we all left. Particularly the one with ginger hair and freckles!
  9. Chap I work with was there with 45, 1965 - 7.He was wounded in his shoulder on the Dhala Road: casevac (Twin Pin) to Khormaksar, then moved to Nairobi.Apparently, Nairobi was less humid,and the wound healed more quickly.
  10. I've got the same problem as I live abroad & the beeb in its wisdom wont permit me to download it!
  11. That's a fact. I joined late '66. It seemed policy in those times that even broken limb injuries were returned to UK for 'quicker' healing. Exotic postings such as Singapore were included in this as I recall.
  12. Give 'expat shield' s google.
  13. Enjoyed watching that, even though I was in bahrain the priority on tea, fags, and dapper shorts were the same.and the unique smell of those souks remain with me to this day.
  14. easy-hide-ip.com is your friend.
  15. What a find this is. Dad was out in Aden from 66 till HMS Bulwark took them out in 67 and I was subjected to slide shows of the Dhala road, Queen Victorias statue and Crater.