RADC to become a tradeless corps

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Furryturd, Feb 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So it appears that the RADC is to become a tradeless corps offering no professional growth for NCOs with only dental nurses/clerks and dental officers.

That will do wonders for retention but when did the COC in the RADC ever give a rubber bunny's cock about anything except their own ivory tower building?

It's just like Don Jack never died but lives on to stab the boys and girls firmly in the chest as well as the back.

2. I thought the RADC was always like that. It's just too small as a Corps.

3. So they're losing hygienists? That really does surprise me as they are also the main educators and gum disease is getting worse in the general community.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Why do you need dental hygienists in uniform? Would it not be cheaper to use civi employed personnel to provide the service, are they ever deployed on Ops?

5. Have you not learned the lessons of Sodexho, PAYD, Carrillion etc etc...

6. Also if they are military they are a bit more versatile. Don't RADC have an alternative medical role in the event of it all going to sh1t

7. Aye, they can treat liver fluke in sheep.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

Yet to find a dental centre that didn't work 0800-1600 working week only. How versatile do you need to be for a hygienist?

Were I am getting is serious decisions need to be made about the single biggest cost the to Defence budget, that is manpower. Why employ dental hygienists, if they only work in static low risk environments then you could argue employing civilians at a lower cost base.

I suspect that you could even see similar trades to DH becoming "Home Service" only and remain uniformed but without the X-Factor and the same level of allowances.

Just a thought.

9. That's the a big portion of the RAF and RN manpower costs slashed then. Not singing shanties and getting bummed = no X factor. RAF = no X factor.

10. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

Hahaha

But seriously why do we need uniformed DH?

11. I'm sure civilian ones are fine in the UK but they cannot be deployed and command high fees in civvie street. At my local practice they charge £30 per visit! It would follow from that, that certainly in a training establishment where the throughput might be expected to be high you would be paying far more for a civilian than you would an A1 Corporal or Sergeant.

I should imagine there is a complete dental set up in Bastion but usually on short ops the dentist's main area of expertese is maxillo Facial injuries although they would be seeing emergency dental cases a lot as well.

12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I'm sure the current DGAMS will protect his lot.

13. Because they are the only half attractive women the Army has ever managed to recruit as a cadre.

On a more serious note it is the loss of the Dental Technician/Maxillo Facial Technician trade that is the greatest danger.

14. You expecting him to break with tradition then?