Radar

Mr Happy

LE
Can anyone tell me the name/about the radar kit used by the RA (I presume) chaps to find the firing points of en mortar and arty pieces so they can counter battery fire. Anything that can be said without stumbling over OPSEC 8O would be appreciated. Thanks

Mr Happy

LE
Thanks chaps. I guess the Cybeline stuff is not used to spot en sniper fire. Is there something else?

(I appreciate I've just picked up and moved the goalposts 10m - soz!)

PS. Loved MStar - thought it rocked but didn't realise it did CBF too. Oooh those techy boys think of everything don't they

The other problem with many counter arty radars such as cymbeline and COBRA is that they closely resemble SA-3 and other hostile SAM radar frequencies and PRFs. Consequently:

a. The fast jet boys need clean underwear everytime their RWR's go bananas near such shell trackers.

b. The Spam SEAD guys are always itching to pop off a HARM at you.

Sleep well!
Regards,
M2

I think sound locating is the way forwards, from what I understand
Nice and passive, too, so keeps our chums from across the pond from letting HARM go when they get painted

Mr H,
It is indeed no secret that a US F-16CJ on a SEAD mission during GWII shot a HARM which took out a Patriot site that was painting him. The incident ocurred soon after the RAF Tornado GR4 was shot down. One of the most unnerving aspects of TELIC was seeing Patriot units tracking us AWACS types as 'UNKNOWN' on JTIDS as we recovered back into PSAB. They did this regularly despite us wearing all the correct IFF codes.
Regards,
M2

Mr H,
A bit of both. Not nice when you see it happen though!
Regards,
M2

were you looking for something a bit smaller? there used to be a bit of kit hung on the sangar walls in NI for locating incoming SA fire. cant remember its name (over 20 years or so ago)

Mr Happy

LE
antichef said:
were you looking for something a bit smaller? there used to be a bit of kit hung on the sangar walls in NI for locating incoming SA fire. cant remember its name (over 20 years or so ago)
Exactly what I was referring to.

Remember a story of AngleIron OP taking rounds at exactly same time as their kit was getting re-calibrated by a team on the ground pointing big drainpipe re-calibration X1 type piece of kit at it. Royal Anglians lean out of their sanger, spot friendly re-calibration team and engage....

0 cas tho.

did we not buy a system from the swedes for counter battery work as well.
BTW MM is the danger with the patroiot batteries not the little T*&ts who operate them and them overiding the software that tells them not to shoot at tornados?

Also was there not a problem in GW1 with the yank sead guys wanting to shoot at rapier sites?

And look at HARM at times it can't even hit the right country!!!!

Mr Happy

LE
nurse said:
And look at HARM at times it can't even hit the right country!!!!
I suspect that was Mk1 HARM that didn't remember the emitting radar's location when it got switched off and hence flew off to Albania or wheree ver (sorry....).

The new kit can remember the location... run Slobodan run.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
YANTOFULPELT The NAAFI Bar 3
maninblack The NAAFI Bar 8
R REME 12