Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mr Happy, Jul 21, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Can anyone tell me the name/about the radar kit used by the RA (I presume) chaps to find the firing points of en mortar and arty pieces so they can counter battery fire. Anything that can be said without stumbling over OPSEC 8O would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. The OPs also use a thingy called Mstar, which basically gives them some sort of all weather capability. It will show vehicles, ground relief and even your own fall of shot. Trouble is it weighs a ton and does break.

3. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Thanks chaps. I guess the Cybeline stuff is not used to spot en sniper fire. Is there something else?

(I appreciate I've just picked up and moved the goalposts 10m - soz!)

PS. Loved MStar - thought it rocked but didn't realise it did CBF too. Oooh those techy boys think of everything don't they
  5. Trouble with Cobra is.... well it's just that there are only 2 of them :roll:
  6. The other problem with many counter arty radars such as cymbeline and COBRA is that they closely resemble SA-3 and other hostile SAM radar frequencies and PRFs. Consequently:

a. The fast jet boys need clean underwear everytime their RWR's go bananas near such shell trackers.

b. The Spam SEAD guys are always itching to pop off a HARM at you.

Sleep well!
  7. I think sound locating is the way forwards, from what I understand
    Nice and passive, too, so keeps our chums from across the pond from letting HARM go when they get painted
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I thought HARM was the only thing that stopped the crews getting dusted by their own patriots???
  9. Mr H,
    It is indeed no secret that a US F-16CJ on a SEAD mission during GWII shot a HARM which took out a Patriot site that was painting him. The incident ocurred soon after the RAF Tornado GR4 was shot down. One of the most unnerving aspects of TELIC was seeing Patriot units tracking us AWACS types as 'UNKNOWN' on JTIDS as we recovered back into PSAB. They did this regularly despite us wearing all the correct IFF codes.
  10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Is it an operator or software problem?
  11. Mr H,
    A bit of both. Not nice when you see it happen though!
  12. were you looking for something a bit smaller? there used to be a bit of kit hung on the sangar walls in NI for locating incoming SA fire. cant remember its name (over 20 years or so ago)
  13. CYMBELINE would easily fit in a Rover....
  14. CYMBELINE would easily fit in a Rover....