Radar Tower at Kirton in Lindsey, Lincolnshire

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Plumber71, May 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was stationed at Kiton In Lindsey during the mid to late 1970s as a REME Tech with 22nd Lt Air Defence. Regt. RA.

Just over the road from the camp entrance was the remains of a very tall tower. We always thought that it was the remains of a CH Chain Home tower. Having moved back there I see that the tower has disappeared.. Has anybody out there got any info on what it was used for or better still any photos.

Many thanks.

2. Try the local history society. If they don't know anything, it might be an incentive to one of the members to get rooting around in records.

3. This place might help:

Kirton-in-Lindsey

If it was only a single tower in isolation it is unlikely to be CH, more possibly a relay tower.

4. I was stationed there a couple of years ago, when it was back to being RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey. I'm assuming you mean a tower just to the north of the married patch? It certainly wasn't a CH (there's one up at Stenigot), and I seem to remember reading something about it being a post-war comms aerial of some sort. There was only some hardstand and perimeter fencing left when I used to walk the dog past there.